Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Last night I watched something profoundly moving.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Never Let Me Go” – another Kazuo Ishiguro adaptation.

Another powerful adaptation, this time produced by the man himself. Profound and moving, it works because the viewer is forced to confront the human condition on a human level, without any of the gibberish that people use to try and avoid the issue. Not once in the whole film is there even a whisper of religion raising it’s ugly head to offer “comfort”. The confrontation is raw (at one point, shockingly physically, so) and painful and reaches deep down, ending on a profound question. Don’t expect to be “entertained”, but I recommend it if you think there’s more to film than passing an amusing hour or two looking at special effects. As Meera Syal once said – “Life isn’t all Hee-Hee Ha-Ha”. This is the second adaptation of this author by which I’ve been completely knocked over (the other was “Remains of the Day”). I’ve GOT to start reading his books. Kazuo Ishiguro is a bona-fide 100%, 24 carat genius.

That is all.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just read the synopsis of the book on wiki. Sounds like it might be interesting.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not once in the whole film is there even a whisper of religion raising it’s ugly head to offer “comfort”.

Oh dear. And you were doing so well this morning, Wopster… 😐

johnners
    Free Member

I found the film of “Never Let Me Go” to be a pale shadow of the book, and since (unlike in the film) the central premise doesn’t become clear until quite near the end I’m afraid I think you’ve spoiled the book for yourself.
    “Remains of The Day” is a much better film – do read the book though, the first person narrative makes it quite different from the film.

brakes
    Free Member

As Meera Syal once said – “Life isn’t all Hee-Hee Ha-Ha”

she was probably talking about one of the comedies she’s been in

boxelder

I bet you cried, you big girl…..

😉

I think I enjoyed it – certainly good cinema.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Not once in the whole film is there even a whisper of religion raising it’s ugly head to offer “comfort”.

Oh dear. And you were doing so well this morning, Wopster.

That’s kind of uninteresting and pointless.

That was one of the remarkable things about the film. Any attempt at “spirituality” would have detracted from the impact of the story. Perfectly reasonable to point that out, in my opinion. And it IS my opinion, to which I am entitled, unless you have somehow become an unpaid censor for STW, intead of a resident irritant. Which I doubt.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

boxelder – Member

I bet you cried, you big girl…..

Uncontrollably!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Any attempt at “spirituality” would have detracted from the impact of the story.

Well apparently it wasn’t. So why mention it?

Resident Irritant. 🙂

I quite like that. Will it star Milla Jovovovovovovovovovovovovic as a kick-ass filly?

CountZero

I haven’t seen it but I do like the fact that this place featured in it:

MrNutt
    Free Member

apparently Jesus loves it too.

RustyNissanPrairie

is it as good as Convoy?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Last night I watched something profoundly moving.’ is closed to new replies.