Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Last minute New Year weekend away
  • alwillis

Can the hivemind suggest somewhere I haven’t thought of that might work for Saturday night?

Looking for a day or 2 of decent interesting walking, within say 3 hours of Swindon. Thinking Brecons, SW coast path (northern part), but we always go to the same places.

Pubs, B&Bs or self catering all considered.

What do you recommend?

weeksy

Come over to ours. Bring beer.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I recommend planning a bit further in advance.

MoreCashThanDash

Peak District?

alwillis

Point taken. Just got home after a few days at my parents and the wife suggested it might be nice to get away before we go back to work. Possibly not a goer and we can just do some day trips, but this place often surprises me with suggestions!

binners

Ordinarily, yes. This year, no chance.

We’ve not bothered booking yet as there are absolutely loads of lovely places still available and the prices keep going lower by the day

If you booked well in advance, you’ll have paid well over the odds

We’ll be off up to the lakes somewhere.

Have a look here

ferrals
    Free Member

Vale of Glamorgan? 2hrs to Swindon and good coastal walks on the stretch of coast between ogmore and llantwit. Imagine you might find somewhere nice to stay rurally in that area or in Cowbridge which is the main town (inland, 10 mins drive from sea). Some nice pubs in the area for a drink/meal too

thegeneralist

We’ll be off up to the lakes somewhere.

Have a look here

I doubt you’ll have the luxury of choice, but if you do, please don’t book via Sykes. They’re not s nice company

binners

I doubt you’ll have the luxury of choice

Have a look for yourself. There’s loads of decent places free and they’re all slashing their prices to try and fill empty houses

but if you do, please don’t book via Sykes. They’re not s nice company

How come? Booked through them quite a few times, including 3 weeks ago in a gorgeous house in Keswick. What’s the issue with them?

konagirl
    Free Member

The area around Lynton/Lynmouth has nicely varied walks. If there is low cloud/fog then you can walk along the East Lyn for miles, if weather ok and not windy there is the coast path in both directions. You need to book dinner though. I would have recommended Old Bank but they’re full.

Most places I can think of will be horribly muddy after all this rain and the Brecon Beacons might be clouded in. But there are lots of options there, including Llanthony if you haven’t done that area, steep walk up out of the valley sides to huge views, if you get the weather. Llanthony has a rustic hotel with restaurant and a pub. Gower Peninsula is worth looking at, for cliff top walks, beaches, nice village pubs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.