Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • last minute cheap ski
  • hooja
    Free Member

4-5 days, anytime during week starting 11/02 (half term)
    Been given a pass to go if i can find a steal of a deal, looks like i will be on my todd as no mates want to fork out the silly prices for half term (i have no choice)
    Problem is, i cant find anything. All the usuals are 7 nights only or ridiculous money.
    Don’t have the time to sort out a diy option and going on my own i cant be arsed. I just want to get on a plane, spend 4+ long days on the hill, get fed and have somewhere to sleep
    Anyone seen any good deals or have any tips?
    cheers

sorry…meant to post in chat forum

nickdavies

Yeah look at going with UCPA, take a look at action outdoors for deals. All inclusive inc pass, hire, food, guiding etc and you’ll probably end up with others like you to ski/drink with. Just check the resort, they operate in most areas but some of the accommodation has been revamped and some hasn’t.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to summon up the will to diy. Needn’t be hard. Find cheap flights, book transfers, airbnb job done.

hooja
    Free Member

cheers nickdavies, ill check that out
    I know nickjb, i diy all our trips usually, just want an easy option this time but i feel you are right and its my best bet…

nickjb
    Free Member

Actually, better idea….. Go for 7 days 8)

shifter
    Free Member

Look at Rocketski

TheDTs
    Free Member

You are going without kids, choose a good resort wich nobody would go to with kids, la grave, argentier for example. Also choose accommodation which people with kids wouldn’t choose, bunk house type stuff is available in both of those places.

hooja
    Free Member

good call on la grave!
    i did think about 7day deals too but id get bored on my todd for that long i reckon

hammerite
    Free Member

I’ll say it quietly…. Snowcoach.

We went one half term for 5 days to Valmeinier. It was surprisingly good.

shifter
    Free Member

La Grave needs a guide – surely that won’t be cheap? Happy to be corrected!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Did it before just browsing apartment web sites and booking one for a few days. Not that hard.

The rest is book a flight, or drive, or Eurostar even (though the timetable is geared around weekends to make a week trip and maximum days skiing).

Flight/train would require booking a transfer also (though in any of the resorts near the train route you just pick up a bus from the station).

Package deals will be 7 days minimum, price per person with single person supplement charged on the whole price, and often crap flight times on a shitty charter flight, complete with long delays when things go wrong because they don’t have the resources to sort it out quickly like a proper airline can (from experience of the 14hr delay on last trip). Oh and the “transfer” which takes 2hrs longer than it should due to tonnes of faffing around and having to visit half a dozen other resorts to drop people off, and generally slow arse driving.

singletrackmind

^^^^^ and coaches that drive at 40mph on the Autoroutes , then have to stop every hour at the services because of pissed Bits who have been drinking since 0600 in JDW Gatwick ^^^^^^^^^^

Try Chalets Direct and see if you get any nibbles , fly to Turin as car hire is cheaper, Its going to be mega busy as its half term. I would never go to France , better off in Austria , Norway , Slovakia IMO.
    Klargenflurt ( sp) airport and drive to Kaprun?

wallop

Cheap? During half term?

😆

Edukator
    Free Member

In France all you need is a resort well served by ski buses and you can stay anywhere the ski bus picks up and drops off. I often just ski a day taking the ski bus from 55km away. the bus goes at 7:45 and leaves the resort at 17:30. Price: 2e the return trip and you can buy a ski pass on the bus so no queuing. Reserve skis on-line with Skiset or similar.

hammerite
    Free Member

STM – you can’t seem to fly to Klagenfurt from the UK any more. For Austria it has to be Salzburg, Innsbruck, Linz, Munich, Ljubljana or Vienna.

Flying to Ljubljana and having a few days in Bad Kleinkircheim might be an idea. There’s the Slovenian resorts too but they’re generally very small.

We’re flying Leeds Bradford to Salzburg and staying just outside Schladming.

TheDTs
    Free Member

La Grave is ok without a guide depending on your ability and the conditions I would say. On consideration though skiing alone there prob a bad idea.
    Chamonix valley, loads of options, loads of accommodation, loads of scope with the liftpass. Close to Geneva with loads if transport options and flight options.

jedi

im looking for a deal end of feb too. good thread

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My only experience of skiing at La Grave was solo. I didn’t die (obvs), but I did have to stop and have a word with myself (open crevasses both sides and below, me solo and on Teles, “Ski tidy, don’t fall”). I then stopped for a coffee at Peyrou which seemed to be pint of espresso. That didn’t help. The caffeine and adrenaline caused me to nearly have to physically restrain my own heart. Not good. In retrospect, it was amazing.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘last minute cheap ski’ is closed to new replies.