Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Last minute C to C recce ride
  • SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Doing C to C with my son in 3 weeks (1 day). Decided last minute to go over tomorrow to Whitehaven for a recce ride (over 3 days), steady 30 miles to Keswick, then a walk to keep support driver (Mrs) happy, stopping at Glencoe B&B. Sat longish ride to Stanhope and night at Bunny Moorhen pub, maybe a few pints to re-hydrate 😀 .
    Then a shortish ride to Sunderland on Sunday.

Should be good training and the recce should save us a bit of time on the one day ride at end of month. Anything I need to look out for?

Steve.

gazc
    Free Member

finish in tynemouth much nicer than sunderland! 🙂

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Mainly gone for Sunderland option for ease of getting back home after a long day in the saddle, also a bit more straightforward for support girls (?).

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Great weekends training/riding/recceing. A lot hillier than I expected but still a cracking ride. Total ride time was a bit under 12 hours, so I suppose the day ride is still on if I can keep a similar pace on tired legs. I’m sure the recce will help though, as there was a fair bit of head scratching going on at times especially around Consett way and nearer to Sunderland.

PS Found the hill from Garrigill the toughest of em all, real plod!

Steve.

icarus
    Free Member

We did it in a day and a half a few weeks ago,stayed at Langwathby on day one.The hardest bit for me was the climb out of Stanhope,we took the road route as 2 were on road bikes and that climb was a real killer!.At least there was a Cafe at the top and a nice long downhill to the finish.Enjoy the ride.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yeah, the Sunderland end is à disgrace – missing signage, unclear, glass and dog poo everywhere. Last time Idid the route I got lost and I lived in Sunderland at the time. Still, at least they spaffed loads of cash on a poncey statue for the finish…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Last minute C to C recce ride’ is closed to new replies.