Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Laser eye surgery…who did you use and how much did it cost?
  • robarnold
    Free Member

Right, that's it, i've had enough of specs and lenses. I've been thinking of having it done for a while so i'd like some experiences please.

I know it's not for everyone, both in the metaphorical sense and the literal, but most companies offer a free initial consultation from what i've heard, so what's the harm?

I need glasses or lenses for more or less everything (ie. I can't stand seeing things anything other than crystal clear), my prescription is -1.75 and -2.25 and had been pretty much at that level for ten years. My whole life revolves around doing physical stuff, my eyes dry out with lenses quicker than ever these days (struggle to get more than about 6 or seven hourse out of a pair 'moist' dailies without discomfort) so I seem to be the ideal candidate.

I live in the Isle of Man so travelling to a clinic in Liverpool or Manchester would be necessary.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Item 1: freedom from glasses will be temporary as it does nothing to correct loss of accomodation with age 🙁

robarnold
    Free Member

Contact lenses cost me around five hundred quid a year so even if I have to have it tweaked every so often, i'm still the winner

Slogo
    Free Member

Item 1: freedom from glasses will be temporary as it does nothing to correct loss of accomodation with age

Depends on your age, your eye sight doesnt always get worse with age seems to stay the same for a long period, they say your eyes will settle at 25ish.. before it get worse.

even if its does just last 5 years after my last pair of glasses cost £450 ill get mine done!

flamejob
    Free Member

Mrs Flamejob is getting implantable contact lenses later this month. It's gonna cost about €5000.

She is beyond laser 🙁

solamanda
    Free Member

tick

MoreCashThanDash

MrsSwadey had it done just over a year ago

She kind of cheated as a friend works at Moorfields Eye Hospital so got it done at a discount rate by the top guy in the country at the best hospital, but I think it was in the region of £3k.

She was legal to drive the day after the operation with no glasses, eventually got her eyesight from -8.5 to -0.5, she swears it is the best thing she has ever done.

MoreCashThanDash

PS – she wants me to get mine done, but no way am I letting anyone slice open my eyeball with a laser while I am conscious…….the vasectomy was bad enough!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

your eye sight doesnt always get worse with age

are you sure ? I don't know of anyone of my age who doesn't have reduced range of focus caused by the lens stiffening (or the muscles weakening)

so even if I have to have it tweaked every so often, i'm still the winner

there is no tweak, as you get older it becomes harder to focus close up and you need correction for reading. Were you to fix that (and I doubt anyone would be willing to do it) you wouldn't be able to focus on distant things without glasses instead 🙁 Actually, this isn't quite true, you could have one eye corrected for close vision perhaps – that's how I have my contacts and glasses, but I'm not sure it's done with laser treatment.

Contact lenses cost me around five hundred quid a year

my hard lenses cost £30 ea and last for years until I lose them 🙂

gixer.john
    Free Member

My missus had it done just over ayear ago, her eyesight was rubbish. One of the reasons she got it done was because every time we went walking and i pointed things out to her, she couldn't see them.

Now she points out things to me that i struggle to see, so genuine improvement.
    After the op she was in a fair bit of pain and a lot of discomfort fro quite a while, now absolute sound 😀
    She paid about £4000.

showerman
    Free Member

going to be using optical express if anyone has had their eyes done or are in the prosses then you could earn cash refering me look here and let me know via email
    http://uk.opticalexpress.com/intraocular-lenses/ambassador-programme.html

jam-bo

have you tried these new 30 day wear contacts? I'm trialing a pair at the moment and i'm really impressed. throwaway lenses used to get dry and uncomfortable for me after 6-7 hours.

wearing them as dailies at the moment but so far have had them in from 7am to 11pm with no ill effects. next week I get to wear them overnight before another consultation with the optician to give the green light for permanent wear. will work out at £19.50 a month.

Woody
    Free Member

I've looked into this and the cost, depending on type of surgery, seems to vary between £1200 and £3,500 for the major advertisers and more if you go private/consultant route.

I know a few people who have had the op, ranging from 6 years ago to 2 months and they ALL say it's the best thing they have ever done. Complications seem to be quite rare but they do happen, as with any invasive procedure.

I'm seriously thinking about it but my lenses are costing <£15 a month and give me no hassle and can't decide if it's worth the risk/cost.

TenMen
    Free Member

I used Optimax in Liverpool and paid £2,200 for both eyes. I went from -4 in both eyes to 20/20 within 24hrs. Had a bit of discomfort that night, but nothing half a bottle of Scotch couldn't fix. I've never regretted it for a second. And I've got a £500 discount voucher – if anyone ever goes with Optimax, mail me.

I had the Intralase Femtosecond and Wavefront (Combined) treatment clicky

Optimax used to auction off their spare surgery appointments on ebay, starting at £600 regardless of what you are having done. All you need to do is have your £50 consultation appt in advance, then pick up an ebay appointment (they even refunded the £50 consultation fee when my girlfriend had her eyes done, she saved about £2200).

Shes says it's the best thing she's ever done, after meeting me of course. 😆

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lasers !
    All I can think of is:

No, I expect you to die Mr. Bond…..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Laser eye surgery…who did you use and how much did it cost?’ is closed to new replies.