Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Laser eye surgery…?
  • mapu
    Free Member

Hi all, my wife’s planning on having LASIK laser surgery on her eyes at the end of the week. But, she’s starting to wobble! She has me telling her that I’d probably not bother to have it done, her family is completely against it, and then most other people telling her to go for it…and then the Internet horror stories.

Has anyone on here had it done? How was the op and how’s it been since? Side effects? Worth it or not? Any advice or feedback appreciated!

p.s. Since you ask the reason I’d not get it done would be that I’m a professional Yorkshireman and it seems extravagant to me. What an unsupportive ****t of a husband I am.

grim168
    Free Member

Had laser surgery done about 16 years ago. Best thing I ever did. And you save money in the long run 😀

Gilesey
    Free Member

Had wavefront intralase LASIK 4 weeks ago. Amazed at how much improved my eyesight is, better than it ever was with specs or contact lenses. Still early days, another couple of months till they reckon things will be stable enough for a final verdict, but currently better than 20/20.

Side effects as expected, a bit dry and a bit uncomfortable at times, so using artificial tears 2 – 3 times a day. More sensitive to sunlight, and bright lights are a bit haloed but nothing dramatic and already noticing improvements.

No regrets at all, it’s a horrible procedure but over quickly enough and for me the results have been really, really good.

FuzzyWuzzy

Had mine done around 8 years ago, on a cheap deal and was the older more painful method (but apparently less risk of haloing side-effects). Probably the best £750 I’ve ever spent (although if doing it now I’d likely do one eye at a time just in case). My eyes felt crap for a couple of days (supposedly much less painful with LASIK) and the op itself was a bit odd (seeing everything go blurry and a smell like burnt hair – it’s over very quickly though).
    In terms of side-effects, the only issue I had was for about a year after I would occasionally get light sensitivity, mostly driving to work early morning and sat in traffic with the car in front with the LED brake strip on, my eyes would start streaming and I’d have to really squint just to keep my eyes open. That’s gone away now and I don’t get any haloing. My vision was better than 20/20 after the op but has slipped a bit since, I’m still way off needing glasses though.

maccabee
    Free Member

Had it done about 2 years ago now and can’t recommend it highly enough. As stated above side effects were dry and sensitive eyes for about 4-6 weeks meaning 3 different kinds of eye drops 3-4 times per day but no problems since. I do get more gunk in the sides of my eyes now but no big deal for better than 20/20 vision. I say go for it

Onzadog
    Free Member

Over ten years ago. No problems and less invasive than a filling. I’ll need reading glasses when I’m older I’m sure but right now, It’s great. Saved money as well I reckon.

OwenP

Had mine done nearly 3 years ago – as others have said, best money i ever spent. Find a good place you trust and its a great idea.

neilthewheel

Any good for astigmatism?

Gilesey
    Free Member

Yup – sorted my astigmatism as part of the procedure.

Got some vouchers for Optical Express if anyone is planning having it done there, no strings £300 off and good until Aug 15th. Email me if you want one.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A friend had it done just over 3 years ago and nearly lost his sight in one eye. Ended up in hospital for 3 weeks being woken ever few hours to have eye drops administered.

He will never get full sight back in the eye.

Gilesey
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – risk of complications is obviously present as with any surgery, but my research suggested v. low risk of the sort of catastrophic outcome you’ve described.

Can you offer any further info as to how your friend ended up like this? poor pre-screening, surgical error, post-op infection etc?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

From what I recall it was simply a surgical accident. Definitely not a post-op infection as he was taken straight to the hospital immediately after the op.

For a time there was a real danger of him losing his sight altogether in the effected eye.

And I accept it is low risk but the surgery is non-essential and therefore I would never risk it myself now – I’d rather keep wearing glasses than stand a chance of losing an eye altogether.

mapu
    Free Member

Thanks a lot everybody – food for thought here. I think she’s going to postpone it from the end of the week but with a view to having it done before long. Rather her than me though, not sure I like the idea of smelling my eyeballs cooking!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Laser eye surgery…?’ is closed to new replies.