Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • LarryVHarry or is that Barry Ebullit
  • dyna-ti

Heart says full sus ebike, like the stilus or along that ilk. But how do I fit the panniers and a weeks shop onto it ?.
    Head says it has to mainly do commuting and shopping.
    Has to be assisted.
    I like the bullit as its more the upright frame shape and the moving bits dont appear of weird sizing.
    The price of these is not exorbitant, and there appears a frame option, and one that takes 135mm 26″ so I can keep the newish pro4 and not have to shell out too much on building new wheels.

One thing puts me off though which is the turning circle, which is obviously much wider, which then means i need to rethink routes, as I do have a habit of crow flying, lanes, over grass verges etc.

I mean has anyone got one or tested something 2.5m long ?.

I’d a funny dream the other night. I was cycling up some long hill without struggling. Almost joy like.

Del

Alpin of this parish got one fairly recently but seems oddly reticent to talk about it a lot.

Frame only isn’t a very good route if you’re going for an assisted one I don’t think.

Cube have one that looks a very good price.

dyna-ti

Thanks, Ill take a look at the cube.

Trouble finding the all around ebike seems to be the way. Lots of niche choices and almost like starting from day one.
    I might need stabilizers 😕

martymac

Ebikes are heavy, which means the extra weight of shopping is less noticeable.
    So a hardtail may be a viable option.

BigM
    Free Member

Contact Gav at August Cycles both he and his wife have them, hers is the e version. He’ll give you honest feedback.

alpin
    Free Member

Hey!

Not at all reticent, I just don’t want to appear to gloat.

It’s great, imo.

For instance, yesterday I had a job in town setting up a studio for some livestream. Tool boxes strapped on it. No problem finding a parking space.

Today I was prepping a shop front for a new facade. 26km away. Rode there with my tools and thanks to the motor averaged 25kmh, about 150m height gain. On the way home, sans tools, I averaged 30+kmh….even got to tag along behind a bunch of roadies and sat at over 40kmh for a few km.

Went touring on it a couple of weeks back. Loaded with tent, sleeping bag, clothes, three bottles of red wine (although I did have to stock up on the third day), some smoke and 16l of water. 260km through the Bavarian alps and then back to Munich…. all on one charge and still had two bars left. It climbs and rolls well without any motor support, although any long climb of 6%+ I clicked it into eco mode (have set up eco to give the bare minimum assistance). The Shimano motor gives zero noticeable resistance with the motor off.

Have managed four full crates of Augustiner. A bit shakey when pulling away, but once rolling no problem.

Was the king of the bbq when I hooked up the Bob trailer and carried two crates of beer, food, charcoal, the grill and enough firewood to last us till sun up.

Carried our old washing machine to the recycling place with it, simply bypassing the long queue of cars.

With light loads you can easily tick along at low 30s. The biggest hurrah for the motor is in town with lots of stop start riding.

Turning circle is obviously larger than a normal bike, but you account for it.
    The handling is different, but after five minutes not a problem. I now have issues when I jump on any of my other bikes and think they are twitchy AF.

I rode the Riese und Müller Packster and have since had a ride on a Douze. The R&M bikes save such a long, unsupported steerer tube (regardless whether Packster or Load) that it creaks and has a noticeable amount of play. Especially noticeable when braking. Also more of a sit up and beg riding position. Same can be said for just about any other cargo /long John bike.

Have a look on insta, there are people building their Bullitts with drop handle bars… don’t think you’ll find many other bikes lend themselves to that sort of build.

Mine has an uppy downy post (external routing) that I had spare. This is good when at the lights as you’re not teetering on tip toes with a full load. Also means the GF and other short arses can ride it.

Any I’ve not covered?

Adventure

#cargobike #bullitt. #bullittbike #larryvsharrybullit

Not sure if the frame only version is available with a motor.

cbike
    Free Member

I have an electric Circe Morpheus which converts from cargo to another pedalling adult. Fantastic car replacement. 4 Panniers for a huge shopping load or a few eurocrates on the front. Higher load level but once underway handles fine.

dyna-ti

Any I’ve not covered?

Thats excellent, answered a question I didnt think it possible which was bike packing.
    Since losing the oldest mate I used to go away with, its just not the same not sending time in Scotlands wilds.
    The turning circle it was suggested to me not dissimilar to a tandem, and i know those can turn quite tight. I think though I’d best first test a non e cargo, rather than whizzing off as breakneck speed without fully understanding it. Im sure it would be fine though i have form for driving a moped into a wall.

Although its not mentioned I do see many of the better list the max weight, which for most of them seems to be 120kg, which doesnt leave much for me and any kit/shopping/trailer i want to use it for, whilst 5eh LvH. Think im 13.5stn lists at 180kg, and i reckon thats a much better figure ,especially for hauling.
    The tools comment is good for me. I’ve often lamented the hassle of getting tools ANYWHERE without a car. I’ve currently got the Festool sponsored one as my desktop pic. Getting something like the slide saw over to mums would complete a lot of garden jobs.
    The benefits are pretty high, I can see where the ‘I wouldnt like to gloat’ comes from 😆

Looked at the R&M from your description. The packster seems to equivalent, but Cant really find any technical details, and I HATE it when they hide certain details, like they aren’t relevant. Like the blooming weight, and the maximum combined weight. and I agree innovative bits always present later service or incompatibility issues.

@Brant
    Is that also the bullit ?, you’ve not said and i cant recognize them by eye. Certainly looks nimble enough for an offroad bimble.

Looking at the ridgeback which is about £1500 cheaper, but there again the small back wheel means a new build, though I’d likely rebuild most of it anyway, id still likely to utilize what I already have, especially on the larger usually more expensive bits.
    And the bullitt shape and reach seem very good for my 6’3″, initial thoughts there were the longer stem, but i think the shorter one would actually be better. I guess everyone in Copenhagen is a giant, along with their somewhat more belt and braces approach to the design. I doubt I’ll ever have incompatibility difficulties changing or finding parts.

Thanks for all the answers though.

letmetalktomark

Premier Icon
    BigM
    Free Member

Contact Gav at August Cycles both he and his wife have them, hers is the e version. He’ll give you honest feedback.

Also a stockiest now too and both genuinely lovely people.

brant
    Free Member

Is that also the bullit ?, you’ve not said and i cant recognize them by eye. Certainly looks nimble enough for an offroad bimble.

Yes

the00
    Free Member

why not an eMTB and a trailer?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Go and see if Ben at Kinetics (Garscube Road) has any in stock, he sells the R&M Load and could probably talk you through most other stuff. Would give you an opportunity to try it out at least.

alpin
    Free Member

The packster seems to equivalent,

From the side, yes. However the load space is in reality quite small due to it being so narrow. There’s one opposite used by the bike shop where I’m currently working; they’ve had something fabricated so that they can carry alu boxes. There are “aufsatz” things available but are by all accounts a PITA to attach and remove.

The Load limits what you can carry due to the frame.

The forks on the R&M bikes are pants. The stanchions on the one I rode where worn badly and the bike was only six months old. Also, the steerer bar /arm attached directly to the stanchion, which to me seems like a Pfusch, as they say in German.

I’ve transported my Makita LS1219L (big bastid mitre saw) to the workshop, but haven’t had it on the Bullitt since as it is attached to the stand.

Festool systainer boxes fit two abreast on the Bullitt without any dicking about.

benp1

Have you got somewhere to store it ok? I have a big dummy, it’s much easier to store in my garage than the bullitt due to the shape. I really like the bullitt but doesn’t work so we’ll for carrying kids, excellent for cargo though and the weight is low down

Full Susser vs cargo bike? That’s either end of the spectrum

Cargo bike gets lots of (good) looks and starts great conversations with random people

Del

Hey Alpin – it wasn’t really a dig, or of it was, only a gentle one 🙂

I don’t think you’re gloating. I’m just interested to hear how people are using these things, and to know what sort of weights you’re carrying, speed, distance, height gain Vs assistance level and battery use is good information. There’s a surprising lack of real world day to day stuff about these things out there in my view.

I do have a hankering for one. I really shouldn’t be using a car for most of what I’m using a car for…

Thanks for posting back.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Am thinking of converting my rigid bike to be part time local car-replacement with a Swytch kit. (dont use the car really anyway but these hills are wearing me out/undoing rehab efforts)

Already have racks, bags and panniers.

Would that be an option if you have a donor bike/a beater-bike? Leaving cash for a new or near-new full suss? Town bikes are more useful in towns. Stepthrus especially, with a big kickstand. Also less of a cold-sweats experience when left tethered outside bargain booze/artisanal avocados shops. Take the battery pack in store/office/gym with you and a casual observer or scrote would never know it was an ebike

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/search/Fully+charged/

Ideally I’d convert my Dutch utility bike, but it has a drum brake. Suppose could possibly source suitable disc-compatible forks and disc brake but then it’s getting silly and complicated.

Tough choice.

dyna-ti

I had a look at the review and Im still not struck on conversions, basically as its front or rear driven, or something thats bb mounted and just , well looks horrible. And ive a finite amount of cash, Seems reasonable conversions, at least todays are themselves expensive enough to eat too far into my overall budget to get a nice enough sus or hd along with it.
    I think the conversions are only really of use in town type bikes, nothing really I have would suit without buggering up the ride

Just trying to make the sensible long term choice, given health considerations.

There’s a surprising lack of real world day to day stuff about these things out there in my view.

Thats always a sure sign the info theyre trying to hide is bad.
    Currently some are not including much int he way of tech data, or even simple things like weight, or more importantly(for my needs) total combined weight.
    Some of the boutique brands appear to be more about their website and green credentials, that actual info beyond generalizations. “Powerful Motor” and thats the sum of it.
    Fiddling the distance like a cheap light maker. IDEALLY it goes this far, but thats a test done on a perfectly flat road, with a breeze behind, and are totally unrealistic for lugging 50kg of tools on a 40 mile round trip up hill and down dale.

Have you got somewhere to store it ok?

Ahh yes, consideration #42
    I live up a close, ground floor by choice(Oh years of carrying a 35lb bike up 3 tenement flights). So I think I could manoeuvre a 2.5m cargo bike into the house, though it would be a bit of a struggle in the house getting it into the bike room.

Due to this one requirement, it really down to a Tern (available through Ben at Kinetics. Ive met him once for a fix to a frame, nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and has a smashing collection of proper cast iron metal working tools. or the Bullitt. Both have a lot going for them. The low center of gravity and better cargo shape, though the Tern is shorter, more bike like and folds to a degree, I think cargo wise its a lot smaller, and placed higher up, I have heard stability initially can be a bit wobbly.
    I also reckon the bullitt could lead onto a box making project. Ive recently bought a vacuum press(Bagpress for those interested parties) curved ply shapes could be in the offing.
    I really cannot believe LarryvHarry are selling an Fing crate for 800 quid. Holy Joe 😯

August Cycles

Its a bit far, Norfolk, im in Glasgow 😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Rad Runner?

Good thing about the Tern (GSD?) is it’s ability to be stored vertically on back-end. I really like their design all round, but was put off* by a number of reports of sudden frame-failure. This is going back a year or so.

*Well, also the price!

OP before totally writing off a kit+beater-bike, have a read of the thread I posted under that review

alpin
    Free Member

Have you got somewhere to store it ok?

Mine lives outside, albeit with a cover from Bullitt. Take the battery off of the temp is due to drop.

dyna-ti

I’ve taken another long look at Reise and Muller, as well as the ridgeback and the Kona ute, tern in both front loading and long tail and im waning towards the longtail.

After long and pretty careful consideration, I’m caught between the R&M Multicharger, or their packster 40. Probably the multicharger vario 625w.

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the R&M. I kind of dismissed them prematurely without looking carefully at their range and build 😕
    One thing I find odd about the R&N front rack, which is as its attached to the frame, any weight would be acting on the fork, and braking, especially with the rack in use, it would tend to dive sharply.
    Most front racks are fork mount, not frame, bound to be an affect.

tjagain

Frame mount fracks on suspension bikes are better as the weight is sprung not unsprung and it does not turn with the steering so less effect on handling

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘LarryVHarry or is that Barry Ebullit’ is closed to new replies.