Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Largs for a couple of days with wife
  • Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Is it nice thinking of going to bute and the smaller isle To explore a bit on bikes and maybe a gravel ride from largs. Or is there a better place to base ourselves nearby

Ta

Premier Icon tomd

Is it nice

No.

better place

Arran

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

Where is “the smaller isle”? Cumbrae? If so there’s not exactly a lot of island to explore there

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Free Member

Where are you coming from? If you’re nipping down from Glasgow say then it’s fine. Day trips to Bute and Cumbrae or Dunoon are nice enough. Or you’re traveling a way and haven’t been then Arran is a bit better.

Premier Icon frankconway

Your wife or someone else’s?

Premier Icon jamesoz

I’ve stayed in largs a couple of times for work.
    The owner of the kebab shop in Largs once called the police out because I asked for a burger that wasn’t microwaved. They gave myself and a colleague a lift back to our hotel. I don’t remember Largs as a place I’d go on purpose.

Premier Icon kennyp
    Free Member

Largs is fine. Very elderly population, and not the place it was 50 years ago, but pleasant enough. Nardini’s still the place to go.

Millport is the popular place to cycle round. Okay not exactly challenging to anyone on here, so if you want to make it more “fun” hire one of the ancient tandems and cycle round all the while arguing with each other. Or maybe that’s just us!!

If you’re at Millport then the Crocodile Rock is an absolute must see. Without a doubt the finest tourist attraction in the area. Absolutely. You won’t be disappointed (much).

If the Waverley is calling then it’s worth a trip though args doesn’t feature on many sailings. And by the time it gets to Largs most of the passengers will be drunk.

Bute is a nice place for a cycle. If you’re looking for something tougher Google the Five Ferries Route.

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Free Member

Absolutely go to Bute. It’s not rugged like Arran, but there’s plenty to do, especially by bike. Incredible bird population on the foreshore,especially on the Clyde foreshore from Kerrycroy to the Southernn tip under the big house. seals at Scalpsie Strad and Kilchattan. Beautiful beach and a great tearoom at Ettrick Bay, unbelievably ornate house at Mount Stuart with beautiful policies and gardens. You might be lucky and spot Ospreys at Loch Fad and Sea Eagles around Kilchattan and Strad. Go off the beaten track and explore the heritage quarries, the Highland tracks up the North End from Rhubodaich.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

IF you go to bute let us know your time for serpentine hill.

A stop at nardinis is about as long as I would spend in Largs.

Definitely Arran or Bute over that dump.

Premier Icon lovewookie

Largs is getting a bit of a kicking here isn’t it?

It’s a busy Scottish seaside town. They’re all a bit run down by English standards, apart from the posh ones (nope, can’t think of any off hand).

I think there’s much more boom and bust in scotland when it comes to tourism, so you end up with towns that have capacity for the height of summer visitors, but are a little ropey looking when it’s either side of the peak.

anyway. Largs is better than Rothesay, but Arran is nicer.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Free Member

anyway. Largs is better than Rothesay, but Arran is nicer

Before Largs you have the dump that is Ardrossan.

But Arran still tops the charts.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

They’re all a bit run down by English standards, apart from the posh ones (nope, can’t think of any off hand).

The East Neuk and North Berwick want a word

Premier Icon dovebiker
    Free Member

I spent many a day during my teenage years riding bikes down to the Ayrshire coast from Glasgow and a wee stop for tea or ice cream along the way. We often went to West Kilbride, Seamill Largs, Barassie or Troon. Places we avoided were Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Irvine – mainly because we wanted to cycle back, rather than having some ned rob yer bike.
    I have family photos from the late 30’s of folks in their Sunday finery visiting Nardinis in Largs.

Premier Icon greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Bute’s still on my bucket list.

Great spot @20.00

Very fast roads, either side of Largs.

Seamill hydro still the place to spot famous football players?

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

**** hell and I thought Perchy got it tight being from Wishy!

Yes Largs is nice to visit. That’s about it. 13.5 years so far, not so much.

Definitely Arran or Bute over that dump.

Rothesay is a hole, if you do go to Bute keep pedalling at least to Port Bannatyne.

The only gravel is the near vertical incline up the hill at the back then over to the Blairpark farm entrance on the A760 (don’t forget to stop and leave a few empty tins up at the world famous* Gretas), from there it’s partially pavemented to the entrance to the Kelburn wind farm which will take you to, via a couple hundred metre slog across the moor at the top, the Dalry wind farm which subsequently dumps you on the Fairlie Moor Road giving you a choice between Fairlie or Dalry.

Alternative is a road ride up Brisbane Glen 6.5 miles uphill where you can either head to Greenock, Kilmacolm (via the Gryffe reservoirs), Wemyss Bay (via the Kelly Cut) or Inverkip. The return to Largs is either back the way you came or via the “red” road running parallel to the A78. Don’t ride on the A78. Seriously. You will **** die.

Cumbrae has been utterly ruined by RET. If you can even catch a ferry (reliability is a sore point before you even talk about sheer numbers) you will then be greeted by an island full of cars. Okay, maybe not, but it’s not the quiet ride round it once was. Not terrible but not really idyllic. If you’re lucky you’ll get a lovely view of the Clyde, if you’re not it’ll either be raining or you looked the wrong way and saw Hunterston.

If you’re looking for something tougher Google the Five Ferries Route.

Another one is the Three ferries (Gourock – Dunoon [whichever crossing, Hunters Quay is the most convenient]) then over to Colintraive via Glen Striven (20%er out of there, fair warning), ferry to Rhubodach or a pint at the Colintraive hotel then round to Rothesay for the ferry back to Wemyss Bay. Think it’s a similar milage but less stops to break it up. The wee road along the side of Loch Ruel is very nice. 44.3 miles as a closed loop or 60 miles from Largs (up the Glen to Gourock via Inverkip and back down the red road from Wemyss Bay)

They’re all a bit run down by English standards, apart from the posh ones (nope, can’t think of any off hand).

Prestwick and Troon aren’t.

At least Ardrossan knows what it is and is trying to better itself. These **** just want to retire and all the industry that built their lovely villages to **** off somewhere else, too stupid to realise the money goes with it.

No, not bitter.

*this may not be true but in fact just local perception. The fame, not the empty swally bottles/tins.

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, been to Arran a few times, decided on he Dumfries and Galloway coast instead

Premier Icon duncancallum

Where abouts @karnali

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

I keep reading this as “Large for a couple of days with the wife” and it sounds like you’re planning some huge drink/drugs bender.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer

partially pavemented to the entrance to the Kelburn wind farm which will take you to, via a couple hundred metre slog across the moor at the top, the Dalry wind farm which subsequently dumps you on the Fairlie Moor Road giving you a choice between Fairlie or Dalry.

Nice views on a sunny day (they do happen from time to time) as you drop down the on the sea side of the Fairlie Moor Road. Away from the road is some proper bog schlepp in places. Hope the bit between the windfarms is a bit firmer.
    Pick the right day and can stop for a breather at the top of the road and watch the rockets being launched, unless it’s 5pm, when the midges come out, so make a hasty descent to get away from them.

Only reason I’d go in to Largs these days is to go to Nardini’s.

One of these days I’ll actually take a bike when I’m over there. Maybe August.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

it sounds like you’re planning some huge drink/drugs bender.

It helps. Why do you think I am the way I am?

Away from the road is some proper bog schlepp in places. Hope the bit between the windfarms is a bit firmer.

It’s horrific in winter apparently but not too bad in summer. I assume you’re talking about Kaim Hill and the area around Glenburn?

Premier Icon andytherocketeer

Yeah, very roughly, the area between Kaim Hill and Knockendon Reservoir and the dogging site. Actually some of the worst bits are on the south rather than north side of the road. There certainly are firm bits, and fortunately the colour of the moss tells you exactly what to expect. Usually. Found a few hidden rivers up there before now, expecting to go boot deep and ending up thigh deep. Hopefully the other side of the reservoir is better.

Premier Icon lovewookie

There’s a really nice veggie/vegan cafe in ardrossan called Moka. I was surprised and thought it a bit brave, but they made it through the pandemic and are always pretty busy.
    Lots of development going on there too, cleaning up the old oil terminal, that’s been an ongoing project for a couple of decades..

The East Neuk and North Berwick want a word

Oh, yeah, they’re nice. But places like Dunbar for instance, are nice, but are also, not that nice.

It’s a bit like that though, ft William should be lovely, but isn’t. Aviemore should be lovely, and is, for the most part, but in the in between season is a bit lost looking.

Compare that to touristy places on the Jurassic coast, for example, and the difference in affluence is clear.

Well, I think so.

But then, Scotland has charm, vast amounts of space, great views, a mildly aggressive language….I like it here!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.