Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • larger SLX / XT single chainring?
  • rhinofive

if Shimano don’t do anything bigger than a 34(?) is anyone using anything larger from anywhere else?

if I’ve understood it correctly it’ll need to be 96mm BCD Asymmetric with 7mm bolts (different to XTR @ 8mm?)

rhinofive

thanks; still a bit grumpy with them after I ordered what I thought was the one I needed and then they wouldn’t accept return outside of 15 (or however many) days as I didn’t try to fit it until afterwards.

I’ll give them another go if only / best option

submarined
    Free Member

At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure you’ve got chainstay clearance for a ring that large.

rhinofive

good point; new cranks going on later, will check before I click!

lustyd
    Free Member

+1 on the check before buying. I now have an xtr 36t spare for this reason as the bike only took a 34 (officially 32!!).

that said, I believe the Shimano chainrings are the same for XT and XTR. The bolt only keeps it against the crank arm, the spider/nuts is what touches the holes and the bolts come with the crankset anyway so must be correct in terms of diameter. The thickness of the ring is identical so length of bolt won’t matter. The 34/36 come with spacers (washers to you and I) but the standard bolts fit fine for these and the 32t.

si.shimano.com doesn’t seem to confirm any of this so please don’t take my word for it as I have no proof. If you’re near Reading I can offer a test of a 36t XTR ring though…

sillyoldman

Gamut do a 36T ring to suit M8000 cranks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘larger SLX / XT single chainring?’ is closed to new replies.