Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • larger M.2 ssd needed. cloning?
  • BearBack
    Free Member

I’ve a 2016 HP envy AIO signature addition thats running out of space on the OS drive.
    It has a 120gb M.2 drive for windows, Sage and a few other progs. Nothing crazy.
    All other programs are installed onto the 2nd drive, a 2″ 250gb SSD that has 30gb or so of space..
    Anyway, I’m thinking of disassembling the AIO to put a larger boot OS drive in, but I’m unsure how I would clone that as theres one mainboard soldered pcie slot and one sata connector cable.
    I disassembled when new to swap out the secondary HDD from mechanical to SSD so I’m fine with that, but prefer to avoid doing a fresh windows install on a new drive because well.. time..
    Do I need to buy an enclosure for the M.2 drive to clone, then install once cloned?
    I’m sure last time I tried cloning a drive they were supposed to be the same size.

retro83
    Free Member

What I’d do is get a usb m2 enclosure, do the clone with Easeus or similar software then physically swap them over. It should automatically resize the partition and FS to use the new space, but if it doesn’t then it’s an easy job to do with the GParted LiveCD/USB.

Check before buying that the m2 enclosure supports the right type of m2 drive 🤦‍♂️

IA

As above, you get m.2 sata drives and m.2 NVMe drives. Different interfaces and different key types on the slot.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Check before buying that the m2 enclosure supports the right type of m2 drive

this… very much this

BearBack
    Free Member

thanks, good to know. HP dont spec what type, but I count 5 pins on one side making at an M type?
    But looks to me like its upside down?
    Also seems there are multiple length options, again no spec from HP.
    heres a dissassembly vid.. any guesses as to size?

jimdubleyou

If you plug the model details into the Crucial website it usually tells you exactly what you need.

Cougar

Or indeed the “scan my system” button.

BearBack
    Free Member

The crucial site wont scan my system and doesn’t give any m.2 drive suggestions when selecting my system.
    Anywho, the HP Skydive-2GS mobo specs say “One M.2 slot for SSD”

The current drive is a Samsung XP941 – pcie 2.0 x4 (M-key slot type)

Having spent a while looking at which nvme drive to get, I now cant see any spec that says if the mobo supports pcie 3.0 x4 for nvme drives (like the Samsung 970 evo or Silicon Power A80)

I’m confuddled as I don’t see any ‘available’ m-type pcie 2.0 x4 cards
    Is it reasonable to assume that the connector being m-type assures the compatability of pcie 3.0?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘larger M.2 ssd needed. cloning?’ is closed to new replies.