Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Large Whyte – to long for daughter?
  • monkeyboyjc

Been looking for a while for a new frame for my daughter, she’s currently a XS 14″ 650b at the moment but has g<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>rown out of it, she’s approx 5’6″. The bike was built pre Covid with the idea of just swapping the frame out when she grew out of it – but the now lack of cheap frames means I’m a bit restricted as to what I can get her.</span>

Would a 2026 Large Whyte 905 be too long for her – ones come up locally collection only.

dissonance

2016? Only real way to say for sure would be to try it since depends on her proportions but I would go with its almost certainly too large for her. I have one and they are pretty reachy.

PJM1974
    Free Member

If she’s 5’6″ then I’d say that a large is too long – especially with her being used to an XS frame.

monkeyboyjc

Yeah this was also my thoughts – it’s only 20mm longer than the med – but even that would be a stretch (pun intended)….

tthew

I’m 5’10” and a medium 629 is bob on for me. Way too much of a jump going from 14″ to large IMHO.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 901, which iirc is the same geo. I’m just over 5’10 and I reckon I could go larger(but I like long bikes), however I’m very comfortable on it. It was previously a mate’s, who is about 5’8, and he said he definitely wouldn’t want it any larger.

joebristol

Maybe give Sonder a call and see when they would have stock of a small or medium transmitter in perhaps? Not many manufacturers sell a sensibly priced frame only option for 650b wheels.

monkeyboyjc

Not many manufacturers sell a sensibly priced frame only option for 650b wheels.

Add to that 135 qr dropouts… I don’t really want to get daughter a new wheel set as well as frame….

matt_outandabout

Ah yes, the old secondhand bike ‘what standards were in for that season’ lottery.

I ended up moving to buying complete bikes for the kids, and selling complete bikes. A few I managed to swap over parts.

weeksy

YOu’ll get a PArkwood frame for very little money usually.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275051969381?hash=item400a5ffb65:g:J7gAAOSwY2NhqzBi

Admittedly that’s too big… but that sort of thing.

akira

You should do a wanted in the classifieds. Someone might have on on one 45650b in 16″ they would do for a decent price. 🤔

monkeyboyjc

😄 pretty much given up on stw classifieds – can’t remember the last time I bought or sold anything on there…..

joebristol

The Brand X Frameset would probably do the job if it were in stock. I built one up for my nephew in 2020 and that had 135qr dropouts. Maybe have a look around and see if anyone is selling one

rossburton
    Free Member

Pinnacle are/were selling Iroko frames for £150, I just bought a medium for my 5’7″ son.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ll also have a small Brand-X HT-01 for sale shortly, but I suspect she’ll grow out of that fairly fast.

</stealth ad>

akira

Well not actually planning on selling the 45650b soon as got stuff to do and I’m terribly lazy but you can have first refusal when I do.

monkeyboyjc

Pinnacle are/were selling Iroko frames for £150,

Unfortunately I try to avoid Mike Ashley….

I’ll also have a small Brand-X HT-01 for sale shortly,

Yes – I’m looking for a medium the brand X would be ideal, wish I’d bought one last year. Tbh I didn’t expect them to go out of stock.

you can have first refusal when I do.

Thanks 👍

monkeyboyjc

Put an alert on CRC fro a Brand X frame which came back in stock this week…. I held off a bit as funds were typically end of Jan tight and today found they are discounted by 33% to £99.99 so all sorted now – just need a headset and forks to go with it 😄

desperatebicycle

My mum did, but ended up with 3 sons.

ohh too long!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Large Whyte – to long for daughter?’ is closed to new replies.