• This topic has 31 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by timc.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Large Soul owners – which 400mm seatpost???
  • vorlich
    Free Member

I noticed lately that I’d been having problems dropping my post. On closer inspection today I found the reason why – at rather noticeable fore/aft bend.

So I’m on the lookout for a new post. The bent one is an Easton EA50 layback. So I’m after something a bit stronger. I’m about 15.7 stone so any recommendations from large riders would be most welcome.

Can’t say I’m particularly impressed with how the EA50 was holding up anyway, the finish is badly scored, a problem my old Havoc seatpost never suffered from…

Oh well, a legitimate reason for buying new bits 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

Thomson the end.

vorlich
    Free Member

Thomson the end.

Cotic specifically recommended not to buy a Thomson when I asked them. So that’s a no go. And the Thomson laybacks are hideous.

Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Use Sumo Carbon or Aluminium

saladdodger
    Free Member

Vorlich why 😯 ???

they are the strongest seatposts going to my knowledge

Thats me in the Poo with Cy then 🙄

vorlich
    Free Member

I can’t find the email now [might have been during phono conversation], but I think it was due to slippage issues where the Thomson posts wear on the ridged finish.

I take it you’ve had no problems…

the_lecht_rocks

^^^^^^^

lol

skywalker
    Free Member

Hope Eternity, they are very nice.

timc
    Free Member
    saladdodger
    Free Member

No none what so ever but I never drop my saddle though so the ridges never wear

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thomson, standard.

I’ve got a Syntace that seems pretty good.

bol

Thomson for me. The extra 10mm gives you a bit more in the frame too. I swapped out to an Easton EC70 for a bit more cush, which worked well for me too.

skywalker
    Free Member

tinribz
    Free Member

Rose bikes have a special on Cobalt 3s. Mine arrived yesterday, very shiny.

dukeduvet

USE sumo alloy here, I would have bought a Hope seat post but needed the layback.

The USE is quite comfy and no issues but tbh have only done half a dozen rides so cant comment on long term use

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Skywalker, that seatpost looks far to straight.

matt_outandabout

they are the strongest seatposts going to my knowledge

Hmm, that is why I snapped mine after 3 months then….but the ‘cheap’ ones from Orange, OnOne and Zoom seemed to work for years.

I think I am heading down the Ti or USE route next…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wouldnt bother with a USE, the clamps are shite.

Choose one with a clamp thats similar to a Thomson, then your saddle wont move.

Syntace P6, comes in carbon aswell and it can be run inline or with a bit lof layback if you want.

boltonjon

Had the same problem with my EA50 seatpost – useless, as i bent it after 4 rides

I’ve fitted an old 420mm USE titanium post from 1994 – spot on and super comfy!

vorlich
    Free Member

Ideally, I want a one piece design, with layback in decent ALU and a hard wearing finish.

Nukeproof look ok but supposedly have crap paint.

I really like those Chromag Dolomites, but no-one seems to stock them.

This looks OK:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71779

The Controltech one has rubbish bolts apparently.

Thinking about another Havoc, but unsure if all Easton 27.2mm post are rubbish.

That Syntace does look nice, but is way too expensive.

daveb
    Free Member

Thomson Inline

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have a Thomson in-line one for sale if you are interested. Very few marks £35 posted.

If a Thomson is no good then I recommend what I use which is a gravity dropper.

pjm84
    Free Member

Thomson. I’ve heavier then you and wouldn’t consider anything else for either my road bikes or XC bikes.

I have 2 inline and one layback and to be honest it looks fine. No problem with slipping.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Syntace can be had here for not too much money

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=7;navigation=1;menu=1000,2,110;mid=3

messiah
    Free Member

Blackspire Shore post is both long and strong. I found the finish on mine to be very hard wearing.

johnners
    Free Member

Christ!

That’s a whole lot of post sticking out there!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a lot of seatpost showing on my Giant hardtail and never had a problem with a Thomson.The original Giant seatpost and a later Easton EA50 both slipped,but the Thomson just does the job without fuss.

Cy did made a comment recently about finding the Thomson less comfortable than other posts,but I guess that the price you pay for the strength.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Got a nukeproof, seems fine.

Klunk
    Free Member

4 years with thomson post, been great with no slippage.

Scamper
    Free Member

Recent Soul purchase and tried a reasonably quality looking On One Twelthy 350mm. Quite hefty myself and it just felt as if it was going to snap, and slipped all the time. Gone back to a 410 Thomson, and all is well again – and still feels comfy enough to me.

honourablegeorge

Just picked up an Easton Havoc Carbon on eBay for mine.

timc
    Free Member

vorlich – Member
    The Controltech one has rubbish bolts apparently.

They are fine

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Large Soul owners – which 400mm seatpost???’ is closed to new replies.