Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Large capacity derailleurs on small cassettes?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is there likely to be any problem running a setup like XT M8000 mech (11-42?) on an 11-28 road cassette? Not going to end up dangling in no mans land with insufficient chain wrap, or clattering against the 11t because it was expecting a steeper slop down the gears?

I’m not convinced by my CX bikes shifting and think a shimano MTB mech with a shiftmate might work better than the Rival 22 it came with (and don’t want to spring for a whole GRX group set). The other option is go 1x with an XTR cassette (plus XT shirter and shiftmate).

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nah, I run either an 11-32 or 11-36 cassette with a long cage apex 1 mech, not a single issue.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How do you find the Apex1 shifting? That’s the other option. I just kinda figured the nuclear option of a shimano mtb mech was at least guaranteed to solve the slow shifting issue in the mud.

antigee

XT M8000 = 11speed CX = STI’s AKA brifters not my favourite word but works (and not the clinic STI)

pretty firmly under impression that Shimano 11 speed road and MTB have different pull ratios ? would be happy to be proved wrong so if anyone has a link to an up to date pull ratios chart I’d like that

antigee

^^^plenty of detail in there thanks I have problems and that helps

…my conclusion would be as per my earlier statement Shimano road shifters 11 speed are a no no with mtb 11 speed rear mech ?

Edit ? added can never be too sure

notmyrealname
    Free Member

…my conclusion would be as per my earlier statement Shimano road shifters 11 speed are a no no with mtb 11 speed rear mech ?

Edit ? added can never be too sure

They’re a no no.

You can however buy a Wolftooth Tanpan which changes the cable pull ratio so you can use Shimano 11 speed road shifters with MTB rear mech’s.

With regards the OP’s original question, I run a long cage Force CX1 frear mech with either an 11-28 or 11-32 cassette with no problems.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve never gone as far as buying and trying, but I’ve often thought about replacing the 8-speed 11-30 cassette on the Wazoo with a 13-26, to give smaller sprocket jumps and still a reasonable gear range for road use given the 24/38 chainrings.

But the long cage rd-310 rear mech officially has 28T as the minimum easiest sprocket (and officially supports at least 34T) IIRC and I forgot all about this when I ordered a replacement mech a couple of months ago.

Albeit just like on my road bike, I’ve needed to sort out a replacement rear mech cable for months, so I’ve been typically stuck in 17T… Which makes https://www.strava.com/segments/19814823 a bit of a slog of late on the commute home using a 700x50mm Schwalbe Century up front and 26×4″ JJ on the rear!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

From my OP

shimano MTB mech with a shiftmate

The cable wraps around the pulley which has a step in it, so it changes the amount of cable pulled per shift. They make one for pretty much every combination of shifters/mech. The “9” will take a SRAM road shifter and make it work with a shimano MTB mech.

null

lightman
    Free Member

I use a 10sp XTR mech & Zee shifter with a 11/28 & 11/40 cassette and never had any issues, just remember to adjust the limit screw when changing cassette or it’ll not shift well.

steve_b77
    Free Member

How do you find the Apex1 shifting?

Absolutely fine, much like my Force CX1,just a bit chunkier

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Large capacity derailleurs on small cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.