Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Laptop woes, windows 7
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I been given a Acer Aspire laptop, with Win 7. I formatted the drive and re-installed Win7 along with all the drivers from the Acer website. Simple. However, the laptop hangs on the welcome screen. Eventually it will boot to desktop, othertimes it needs safemode to start. Repeated the process and again used the correct drivers from the Acer site. The laptop now either hangs again on startup or is so flakey its not really useable. H’drive is fine and nothing in event log to help much. Disabling Network List service & network location awareness and Win event collector allows the laptop to boot cleanly to desktop, although without these services started can’t access laptop’s wifi. Starting these manually allows wifi access but rebooting with these services started again hangs the laptop on the welcome screen. help….

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you know the hard drive is fine?

Have you done a memory test?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Possibly the driver for the network card is slightly incorrect; Acer might not include all the 3rd party drivers on their site? See if you can download one from the card manufacturer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    duntstick
    Free Member

I had similar problems on this PC when I installed Windows 7, I fooled about for ages trying to get it right, when I should have just re-installed. Something had gone wrong.(Seemed wierd like it had a virus) Everything was fine after re-install. Good luck

Cougar

Disabling Network List service & network location awareness and Win event collector allows the laptop to boot cleanly to desktop,

What prompted you to do that / how did you diagnose all three services?

Assuming the hardware to be fine for now, it does sound like it might be drivers as Greybeard suggests. Did it work before you installed all the Acer drivers? Did you install them all in one drop or individually? Are they Windows 7 drivers for the correct architecture (32-bit / 64-bit), or have you got some mongrels in there? Have you got the motherboard chipset drivers installed? Do the Microsoft drivers work before you install the Acer ones? Is the W7 service pack installed?

jimmy

You bunt, you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Laptop woes, windows 7’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts