Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Laptop to projector help needed PLEASE
  • wingnuts

Just trying to get a projector to link with my Macbook air and the screen projected just shows signal no source.

Not my projector and no instruction booklet.

The powerpoint is up on my laptop screen and its all connected properly. I think.

Any help gratefully received. I need this up and going by 5.00.

globalti
    Free Member

What cable are you using?

You’ve tried pressing Fn and F4 or F7?

wingnuts

VGA to minidisplay port and no reaction to F4 or F7

brassneck

Any icon up in the bar near the clock?

slowoldman

Have a look in System Preferences, Displays to see if it’s shown when connected.

manmurray

If you open Displays in System Preferences, does it show anything different with the projector connected/not connected (and/or the displayport adapter plugged in/not plugged in)

Does the projector have multiple inputs, if so can you cycle through them? Would have thought it’d autodetect an active input, but you never know…

manmurray

slowoldman beat me to it 😉

slowoldman

Wow – quicker than someone!

wingnuts

The display doesn’t seem to indicate anything whether its connected or not. the window is called builtin display and doesn’t offer mirroring.

slowoldman

Sounds like it’s not detected.

Shouldn’t be necessary but… try connecting the projector, switch it on, reboot Macbook.

Also, test with any old VGA monitor.

slowoldman

Ooh hang on, found something else

Press Command-F1 to toggle between video mirroring and extended desktop
    Press Command-F2 to detect displays

avdave2

We had something similar the other day using a MS Surface to a monitor. My colleague couldn’t get it to output using his mac display port adapter. We tried with my startech one and it worked first time as you’d expect. Once the surface and monitor had worked using my adapter they then worked with his adapter which was rather strange.

We do this for a living so we’re fairly sure it wasn’t user error but you never know.

I’d suggest you try to connect to a monitor or some other screen to see if you can get an output to that. Also try to set PowerPoint in presenter view to see if that has any effect. I think at the moment your mac isn’t seeing the projector but it may well see another device – once it’s done that hopefully it’ll see the projector.

Many years ago you couldn’t get Sony laptops to see Sony projectors because the eprom chips in the projectors wouldn’t talk to the laptops properly and you’d need to put a dummy load on the laptop to adjust your settings before connecting to the projector.

wingnuts

Not happening with any of that I’m afraid!

wingnuts

OK avdave i’d do that but don’t have another screen. whats a star tech and where could i get one?
    In an hour!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Don’t PANICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

8)

wingnuts

went and got a new cable. BINGO we have lift off. Thanks everyone

takisawa2

I was going to say that.

globalti
    Free Member

Send our IT consultancy fee in the form of beer tokens please.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Laptop to projector help needed PLEASE’ is closed to new replies.