Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Laptop / tablet query
  • 4130s0ul
    Free Member

As most of my time spent on my laptop was just using the internet I decided a few years ago to invest in a tablet rather than upgrade my aging laptop.

But I now have a Gopro that I’d like to be able to download the files and edit occasionally. I also have an ever growing number of pictures from my phone and camera that I need to download / organise.

Neither of these things seem feasible on a tablet as far as I’m aware (unless I’m mistaken)

Given that for the most part I’ll be using my tablet or phone to browse the internet and will only need the laptop for the above and setting up music / films / photos onto my NAS what would people recommend?
    I could carry on using my old laptop but the slow start up and overall speed is frustrating.

Any help with ideas is appreciated.

Thanks

Cougar

Might work if your tablet supports USB OTG (“on the go”).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fresh install of windows on the laptop.
    Don’t put any crap on it.
    Use sleep rather than shut down.

Cheapest answer

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Cougar – Thanks, my tablet is A Samsung Note and has it’s own type of USB unfortunately. I will look into the OTG and see if there’s an adapter available. as the files will be stored off the device that could be an option.

Mike – it’s got a fairly fresh install of Windows 8.1, and the only crap on it so far is VLC and Google Sketch. I don’t know if the slowness is purely due to the power available (this is a guess as I have no idea)
    I also can’t use the sleep function as the laptop won’t work unless permanently plugged to the mains due to a dead battery, and i’d prefer for it to not be plugged in all the time. cheers.

RustyMac

Out of curiosity what is the spec of the old laptop? Processor & RAM?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

god I knew somebody would ask a question like that…I have no idea of any of the specs off the top of my head.
    I’ll have to look when I get home I’m afraid.

brassneck

it’s got a fairly fresh install of Windows 8.1

There’s your problem. Go 10 if you still can.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Laptop / tablet query’ is closed to new replies.