Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Laptop screen freeze problem.
  • ads678

HP Laptop has started to freeze after a while and the screen goes like the image below, only way to sort it is to hold power button until it shuts down then re start.

The lap top is crap and has always been stupidly slow. I should have taken it back as soon as I bought it, but it has been useful for kids school stuff during lockdowns.

Any one have any idea of what could be causing it or if there is any cheap fixes. Had it just over a year so warranty is up now. Although I get extended warranties with my bank account so could go down that route if need be…

z1ppy

Your not alone…

HP support, theyre such a bunch of useless tossers
    No really good reason for the fault or a validated solution in either link, but running the hardware tests and updating the O/S with the latest drivers can’t be a bad first step, and then re-installing the o/s if it persists can’t hurt. What specific model is the laptop?

ads678

Yeah I’ve done the hardware test and updated o/s. Doesn’t seem to have done anything.

Model is 15-db0049na

I’ll have a look at the links ta.

Cougar

So, after it does that, does it keep doing it or is it then fine for a similar amount of time once you’ve buttoned it?

fossy

Overheating ?

ads678

After a restart, it works for a while and then does that again. A few times it’s done that when activated after standby…

fossy

Check what software may be running in the background and disable anything that’s not needed.

Cougar

Overheating ?

… is why I was asking, yes.

This does look like a hardware issue unfortunately. Plugging it into an external display and booting off a Linux pendrive would rule out many other causes, but that looks like a sodded GPU to me.

fossy

I’d remove the under panel and clean it out if you can, make sure all the vents are clear of dust and ensure the exhaust port is clear too.

fossy

Check the fan is spining OK too.

chaos

Swap in a cheap SSD if you do open it up and reinstall Windows.  That’ll transform the performance and may well run cooler.

ads678

Cheers, I’ll crack it open and give it a clean out.

Will look at SSD’s as well. TBF it’s only a cheap laptop, bit disappointed its only lasted this long but like I say, I knew it was shit straight away, so should have taken it back….live and learn I suppose.

Cougar

Might be worth a chance email to HP.

Where are you geographically?

ads678

I’m in Leeds. Gonna try to HP, but I’m not sure I’ll get very far.

Bloody disappointed with Argos though. You literally cannot get InTouch with them and website just refers you to HP. Argos just don’t want to know. Never buy a laptop from Argos…

Cougar

The supplier isn’t likely to be interested post-12 months outside of you pursuing a CRA claim. HP might throw you a bone out of goodwill, was all I was thinking.

glenh
    Free Member

Certainly looks like a GPU hardware problem.

If I remember correctly Apple had a similar issue occur regularly on macbooks a few years back and had a repair program running for about 5 years. HP might not be as helpful, but worth trying them.

Cougar

Forgive me, I’m not well-up on AMD hardware. Is this one of those freaky chipsets which had the GPU and CPU on the same die?

I think if it were me then (assuming HP had told me to sod off) I’d be taking it to bits and cleaning & re-glooping the thermal paste on any heat sinks in there. Whether I’d recommend that course of action unless you were confident is another matter, the style of the case in the photo there is likely to be a bugger to open and suggests that it might be a motherboard-out job.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Laptop screen freeze problem.’ is closed to new replies.