Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Laptop help, is this any good?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

After a laptop for browsing the internet and listening to chowns. And thats it.

Current PC spec is about 700mb of ram and a 2.4ghz P4.

Is this any good for £350

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G580_1339150.html

Or could I get away with something cheaper if all I want it for is the tasks described above?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Stoner
    Free Member

have you thought about going for chromebook?

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/chrome/devices/

Using google play to host all your music once uploaded you have access to it on any platform, but would need an internet connection, but you could also play music locally on the SD card or drive.

Id certainly have one if I didnt need to run Excel.

I have chromeos running on a spare netbook and it does what I need (but it cant handle power management on legacy hardware)

allthegear
    Free Member

Not even sure you need a laptop to consume webpages and music – won’t a tablet do just as well and require less maintenance?

Rachel

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’d probably do most of what I want. But I definitely need a windows OS.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Haha, I’ve completely **** up my specification here.

A tablet would probably do me, but I do sometimessnotveryoften use Office/CAD/Photoshop etc.

fd3chris
    Free Member

To be honest that’s a bit high spec for what you say your usage of it will be. Is there another slightly cheaper one with less spec?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, didnt know if it was to high spec or not. But the cheapest 15″ screen one is only 50 quid less and it has a poorer processor.

RealMan
    Free Member

To be honest that’s a bit high spec for what you say your usage of it will be. I

Yeah, but it’s a decent price. If you’re happy spending that, go for it, I’d say.

allthegear
    Free Member

But I definitely need a windows OS.

Why?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    But I definitely need a windows OS.

Why?

Scared of change.

I dunno, what others are available that will do Office/CAD/Photoshop etc?

fd3chris
    Free Member

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C850-1CW_1296674.html
    slightly cheaper and will easily cover your said needs.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah – you didn’t mention Office/CAD/Photoshop etc – are they part of your requirements, too??

edit – (although I quite happily use Pages, IA Writer and OmniGraffle on my iPad on a regular occasion…)

Rachel

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ha, see a few posts above!

I didnt think long and hard enough when I typed my first post.

Stoner
    Free Member

do you need photoshop and autocad or just software that does the same function and can use the same file types?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

fd3chris – Member
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C850-1CW_1296674.html
    slightly cheaper and will easily cover your said needs.

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Are Toshiba any good? Would 2GB of ram be enough for HD videos and the like?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    do you need photoshop and autocad or just software that does the same function and can use the same file types?

No, I don’t need photoshop, but I could do with CAD really.

I could get a tablet I suppose, but it would probably mean keeping my PC which I dont really want to do.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pixlr-editor/icmaknaampgiegkcjlimdiidlhopknpk

?

Awesome. Whats the craic then? Is a chromebook the way to go? Is that what everyone’ll be using soon?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Toshiba are good yes, lots of IT guys I used to work with used them. 2gb ddr3 is more than enough David and is very cheap and simple to add later but I doubt you’d need to. It can all come down to how much you need to spend against what you are happy to spend if you get my meaning.

Stoner
    Free Member

chromebook is basically a cloud terminal. You have the abilty to save some material locally, but the presumption is that most of your stuff is in the google cloud

A linux kernal with Chrome browser running on top. Some basic file management functionality and power management. Fast boots especially from sleep.

If you use the google platform (as I do, completely) then your whole life is delivered through chrome browser. Docs, drive, picasa images, google music, etc etc. You dont need a chrome book to do this as the google stuff is platform independent, but for some sleek and tidy samsung hardware why not?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    chromebook is basically a cloud terminal. You have the abilty to save some material locally, but the presumption is that most of your stuff is in the google cloud

A linux kernal with Chrome browser running on top. Some basic file management functionality and power management. Fast boots especially from sleep.

If you use the google platform (as I do, completely) then your whole life is delivered through chrome browser. Docs, drive, picasa images, google music, etc etc. You dont need a chrome book to do this as the google stuff is platform independent, but for some sleek and tidy samsung hardware why not?

Thanks, I get it now.

It sounds like a smart idea, but obviously you need a permanent internet connection for it to work.

A normal windows laptop still seems like a better idea in my head.

FuzzyWuzzy

I know someone that’s just bought one of these and is happy with it http://www.dabs.com/products/fujitsu–ah512-intel-pentium-b960-4gb-500gbhdmi-win8–laptop-8BSJ.html?src=17
    not sure about how well it would cope with CAD though, you prob want to be looking at a core i5 for that but they aren’t cheap.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Laptop help, is this any good?’ is closed to new replies.