Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Laptop for Primary School Homework
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

Eldest daughter is 11 and in P7, been told she’s after a laptop for her xmas and is a reasonable request as per the ex-wife as it’s needed for homework duties.
    So what’s a decent cheap laptop for light duties, couple hundred max as can see this getting smashed in a year or so. Been looking on Amazon but there all the same to me.

Cheers!

johndoh
    Free Member

Chromebook

rossburton
    Free Member

A *decent* chromebook, not a cheap one. The really cheap ones don’t have enough RAM etc to actually be pleasant to use.

Drac

Yup Chromebook some schools do incentives that give support and additional cover.

Cougar
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As per the other thread:

<blockquote.

Get a windows laptop (i.e. anything that isnt a chromebook) and a student licence for Word, excel etc (which is significantly cheaper than the grownup licence).

Yes google docs is free, so is open office. But you will then waste days of your life transposing formulas from google sheets to excel as they have different functions and vba wont work . Or writing your dissertation in open office only to find 2 hours before the deadline that the formatting is all wrong when you try and print via word on a university computer.

In terms of spec your buying the ford fiesta of laptops, the best you can do is a fiesta and the worst is a corsa and in reality both will do what you need and are basicly the same. Except a chromebook, thats like asking what bike to get and ending up with a Segway.

Think the other thread had some good recommendations for refurbished business laptops.

martinhutch

I have to agree with the anti-Chromebook sentiment. If you want the device to be useful well into secondary school, get a Windows laptop, with Student Office as above. My lad is currently trying to get his Chromebook to work with a bit of simple Python coding and it’s a complete PITA.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Laptop for Primary School Homework’ is closed to new replies.