Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • laptop advice needed
  • restless
    Free Member

hi.
    Yesterday i dropped my son’s laptop on the floor whilst i was cleaning his room. I haven’t told him because now the screen isn’t working properly and i think i may have broken it. But it did work for a few hours initially after it was dropped, so it might not be related.
    when he switches it on, the start up stuff comes up but when its time to log on, the screen is just black and stays black. it doesn’t change no matter what you press or anything.
    Does anybody know what could be wrong, or where is a good place to take it to be fixed, how much it would cost? I have no idea 🙁

Cougar

Might well have been like that for a while and he hasn’t told you.

What’s the last thing you see onscreen before it goes black?

restless
    Free Member

when you switch it on sone white writing comes across the bottom of the screen, i dont know what it says. it would then normally go to the blue screen with his name on it and he types his password to log on, but it wont get that far now.
    i know it wasnt broken before because he uses it everyday after school.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you shine a light on the screen or hold it up to a window can you see a faint image of what should be there?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Is the start up stuff a little dim? Are you sure the screen is black and not just very very dim afterwards (take in a dark cupboard and shine a torch as the screen).

Could be the LCD backlighting inverter has gone. Just done this on my sons, £10 part, DIY fix.

restless
    Free Member

no there is nothing on the screen at all.
    the rest of it is still working though because you can hear it, just cant see anything.

Cougar

What’s the last thing you see onscreen before it goes black? Don’t guess, check. Information has to flow this way before it can flow back to you.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

graphics card problem

the graphics are handled by the computers own processor until the operating system loads and enables the graphics card. you should be able to start the computer in safe mode (hold the f8 key whilst the computer starts up) which will not enable the graphics card i think. this may allow you to get files off it. dropping it could have broken a connection on the card or something similar

this is mostly speculation after a similar thing happened to me, i’m no expert

restless
    Free Member

i just switched it on again and the writing only flashes up for a second or so, it says windows error recovery, then a list of stuff underneath, then it disappears.
    i think i broke it 🙁

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Can you plug it into an external monitor?

restless
    Free Member

dont have one, i only have a netbook

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

does your TV have a PC input?

Cougar

it says windows error recovery, then a list of stuff underneath,

You should be able to select “startup repair” at this point. Try that?

restless
    Free Member

my tv has a usb socket, is that the same thing?

Cougar

Hold on.

After the screen goes black, does it reboot, or are you switching it off and on again?

clunker

Its likely to be the cable connecting the screen to the motherboard has come lose, can you confirm the brand of laptop as I maybe able to help.

Cougar

my tv has a usb socket, is that the same thing?

With respect,

How old’s your son? Is he of “daddy, my computer is broken” age, or “for god’s sake dad, leave it alone” years old?

restless
    Free Member

i have been switching it off, lots of times trying to get it to work, sometimes you dont get to see any writing, sometimes it is there.
    it is a Compaq.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How old’s your son? Is he of “daddy, my computer is broken” age, or “for god’s sake dad, leave it alone” years old?

I was thinking the very same…..!

No, it’s OK, Dad, I’ll look after this…. 😳 😳 😕 “

restless
    Free Member

my son is 14, he knows more about computers than me. 😳

restless
    Free Member

but i’m not his daddy, i’m his mummy, so humour me. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In that case he won’t be at all embarrassed about what you find in his internet history! 😉

Cougar

That’s your answer right there. At age 14, if my dad had tried to fix my computer I’d have had a Kevin The Teenager grade meltdown.

Where are you geographically?

but i’m not his daddy, i’m his mummy, so humour me

Whoops, mia culpa. 😳

restless
    Free Member

thats his tough luck, if he wants it fixing then i may well have a good old snoop whilst i’m at it.

clunker

if you want to send it to me (I am in Stafford Nr Cannock Chase) I will take a look.

Cougar

if he wants it fixing then i may well have a good old snoop whilst i’m at it.

Nothing Good Will Come Of This.

restless
    Free Member

i’m in South Notts

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Somewhere, in South Nottinghamshire, a 14 year old boy is quietly sobbing in to his hands muttering to himself. It sounds like, “Oh, no, she’s going to find it….oh no, she’s going to find it….”

😉

Life was so much simpler when all we had was hard copy gentertainment!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i know a PC repair chappy near Ratcliffe. He’s a sarcastic git with a lack of social skills, these are the kind of people that you need to fix PCs.

[EDIT] or ride mtbs for that matter

restless
    Free Member

if you want to send it to me (I am in Stafford Nr Cannock Chase) I will take a look.

you’re not far from me then. 🙂

Cougar

If I had a 14-year old son and I found a huge stash of filth on his laptop, he’d be in big trouble and I’d be bitterly disappointed. “Son, have I taught you nothing about encryption?”

restless
    Free Member

ha ha , but my son is a quiet boy. i’m sure there won’t be rude things on there.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

ha ha , but my son is a quiet boy. i’m sure there won’t be rude things on there.

Woooo Hooooo!

Cougar

Again, with all due respect, he’s fourteen. The only way there won’t be anything you’d disapprove of on there is if he’s found somewhere else to hide it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

no, he’d have to be a fool to save it to his hard drive

restless
    Free Member

maybe, thats probably why he spends all his time in his room then. 😕

cranberry
    Free Member

Sweet. Naive, but sweet ( unless there is something seriously wrong with him ).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

maybe, thats probably why he spends all his time in his room furiously masturbating then

restless
    Free Member

well , i dont know what age boys start with all that 😳

Cougar

But anyway. I was going to offer to take a look at it for you, but it sounds like you’ve got a more local offer.

I’d suggest that your first action is to tell your lad. For all you know, he’s rigged it so that it appears to be broken should his mother feel a sudden need to go checking on him. ‘s what I would have done.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘laptop advice needed’ is closed to new replies.