Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Laptop advice – 1440 x 900 screen res required, laptop for software coding
  • jimmers
    Free Member

Looking to source a laptop for a colleague at work for work use. Will be used for software coding so vertical height is more important than width.

Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a laptop with 14″ – 15″ screen with a screen res of 1440 x 900?

Dell used to do these but it seems that laptop manufacturers assume that everyone will be watching films on them as the aspect ratio seems to be wider with less height. The standard now seems to be

15″ = 1336 x 768
    17″ = 1600 x 900

BTW a 17″ will be too heavy for her.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Macbook Air 13″ has a screen res of 1440×900, I run eclipse, ff, chrome, safari and sometimes virtualbox. All browsers with a minimum of 10 tabs 🙂
    And when I’m at a desk I power a HD monitor and have dual displays (not mirrored).

Highly recommended.
    It’ll be interesting to see if the 2gig ram lasts the test of time…

13″ MBP is also good – slightly smaller screen res perhaps? It was when I bought the MBA.

Mac are one of the few manufacturers that still have 16×10 ratio displays, so you’ll be hard pressed to find someone else (but that is what you’re looking for)

jimmers
    Free Member

Apologies, should have mentioned that it needs to be a Windows machine as the software we develop requires Windows.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Any laptop, the wider the better, right click on the desktop and rotate the screen 90 degrees, put laptop on desk like a book and plug in a keyboard of choice that is easier to type with. Then back to normal if you aren’t at your desk?

fisha
    Free Member

Surely a monitor is what your needing, or does it have to be coding on the go?

A lot of monitors can flip 90deg so in theory a cheap 1920 by 1080 could flip to give you a heap more vertical space

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Macs run windows now 🙂 You could dual boot, or install windows as the primary OS.

There must be some other laptop manufacturers that do 16×10 screens, but it is rare. Even for monitors it’s quite rare to get 16:10 now (and when you do find them, they’re pricy).

xiphon
    Free Member

HP ProBook – http://blog.laptopmag.com/hp-probook-4425s-6455b-6555b-now-with-amd-phenom-6450b-and-6550b-get-intel-core-cpus

They seem to cram quite a high res into their screens. 1600×900?

jimmers
    Free Member

Thanks for responses. Going for a 14″ Dell with 1336×768 and admitting defeat. 1600×900 on a small screen = eyeball ache!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can spec a 1080p screen on a Sony when you buy it online – but it is a glossy screen 🙁

Dells also let you select a 1080p screen only.

You might also be able to pick up a 2nd hand dell with 1920*1200 screen on a 15.4 inch – something like a latitude D830 or Precision M6300, and they are matt.

molgrips
    Free Member

Will be used for software coding so vertical height is more important than width

I’m a developer, never came across this. Wide means you can move all the crap from below your code window to one side, and gain height that way.

FuzzyWuzzy

Dell Latitude E6410 has a WXGA+ (1440×900) resolution option (I use a 6400 for work with the same screen and it seems OK).

cxi
    Free Member

My HP Elitebook 8440p is 1600 x 900 on a 14″ panel – pin sharp to my (semi-blind) eyes

Cougar

My Dell (17″) is 1920×1200. Took a bit of finding, though.

elliptic
    Free Member

I’m a developer, never came across this. Wide means you can move all the crap from below your code window to one side, and gain height that way.

I’m a developer too. Tall means you can fit more lines of code onto the screen at once.

All the other crap is on the second screen already 🙂

bazzer
    Free Member

I miss my dual screen setup at work 🙁

Current clients have only given me one monitor 🙁

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Have a look on dell outlet. I’ve got an xps m1530 with a 15″ 1680 * 1080 screen.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You need vertical depth to cope with the ribbon bars and menus that get ever bigger with each microsoft release, whilst each release makes it harder and harder to find the config controls where you can make them smaller again 🙁

molgrips – you say you are a developer but I thought you said you worked with Java…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    Cougar

TBH, in all seriousness two screens isn’t a bad suggestion. For a dev environment, I’d want two screens so that I could have code in one window and results / everything else in the other.

I have the same setup at work; I use a large external monitor to run remote desktop sessions, and the laptop screen runs email, messenger, STW and the other daily essentials.

toby1

left screen for code right screen for STW right? Is that what everyone does as we are all overweight and in IT 😉

GrahamS

Dell Latitude E6410 has a WXGA+ (1440×900) resolution option (I use a 6400 for work with the same screen and it seems OK).

Yep I’m using a Dell E6400 too with a second screen connected at 1600×900

simon_g

I’ve just been given an HP Probook 6540b which has a 1600×900 15″ screen.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Laptop advice – 1440 x 900 screen res required, laptop for software coding’ is closed to new replies.