Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laparoscopic Bilateral Inguinal hernia 😟
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Had my op (laparoscopic)a week ago now, and still a bit sore, but mobile(ish)enough.

Has anyone got experience of similar with a view mainly on getting as fit as possible as quickly as possible.

I’ve read old threads, but I think techniques have improved drastically and recovery times are diminishing.

Physio ??

Cheers

andyrm
    Free Member

I had open surgery on bilateral inguinal hernias, so more invasive. I was gently riding 8 weeks later and fully recovered after 3 months.

IHN

Yup, I’ve had two, separate, open surgeries on inguinal hernias (herniaii?). Andyrm’s post sounds about right.

Welcome to the bionic groin club 🙂

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys; I’m hoping that, with it being laparoscopic, I can reduce that a bit, but it’s nice to know normality should be resumed eventually.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve had both flavours done on either side with a few years apart so got both experiences. Invasive one was pretty brutal.

Up and waking about in a day or two with the keyhole. Can’t remember how long it was for cycling but don’t remember it being too long.

Ironically going through the belly button for the inguinal hernia weakened me further up so I’ve now got a hernia in the stomach area…

wwaswas

I had 5 (diagnosed with 3, found 2 “more during the op) repaired laprascopically last October with mesh for 4 and stiches for 1. Could probably have been riding gently after a month but gave it 6 weeks. I’m over 50 and wanted to make sure it was all OK before I over did it.

Was walking 15000 steps a day 2 weeks after the op if that helps.

andyrm
    Free Member

OP – seriously, don’t try and rush recovery. It’ll not help. I know it’s hard to be patient, but it’s worth it. Do as you’re told and there’s no reason not to be back to full strength 👍

Oh and depending on your post op painkillers, be wary of a beer! I got that wrong, hobbled down to a work event. 2 Peronis and I was absolutely off my chops. Turns out Italian lager doesn’t mix too great with prescription grade opiates….. 🤔😂🤣😂

pipiom
    Free Member

Great feedback guys.
    I’m 63 actually, and take nothing but a few paracetamols at night. It’s very sore, but I’ve got that many “very sore” bits that this just blends in with the rest.

I’m exactly 1 week in now, and laid off the beer until yesterday when I had a few weak ales.

I’ve been for a few walks (too far on Tuesday and suffered) and all seems to be in order.

We’ve got a 3 dayer in early July that I’m fixing my sights on atm, but if I can’t ride, then so be it.

Many thanks again for your valued input.

John_Key
    Free Member

I had a single one which was classed as a giant one in the end, but that was repaired with keyhole surgery and I was up walking the next day and for the first week did lots of walking which is recommended to get the blood flowing.

Back on the bike at 10day-2 week point and no problems since

senorj

I had a inguinal & umbilical fettled at the same time 3 years ago. If you’ve seen the other threads ,I’ll have moaned on those ,so I’ll try to be brief!
    I walked 1.5 miles for school pick up on 3rd day.
    Big mistake. We got the bus home.
    I was gently riding after 21 days (20 miles in Epping) , but a sciatic issue, (which I didn’t have before the op) held me back for a long time(2 years). When ever I put any “power” down ,sciatic pain recurred. Still there occasionally, but manageable. Doc assured me hernias were fine . I still feel the pins on the mesh from time to time.
    Good luck.

pipiom
    Free Member

senor j

Many thanks for your response. Bummer about the sciatica issues.

My surgeon (Prof. Aali Sheen) used some special glue (“Tisheel”????) and applicator. He doesn’t like the pins.

Hope you GWS

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laparoscopic Bilateral Inguinal hernia 😟’ is closed to new replies.