Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Langster Chain Keeps Coming off?
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Any ideas, the chain kept coming off my langster, so I gave it a good service. New BB, chain, sprocket etc and I still have the same problem, when riding over anything bumpy the chain hopes off at the back, it feels almost as though the chain is seizing and hoping off.

I had been running the bike with the wrong size BB which I thought was the problem. The new BB is the correct size for the frame/crank so the chain line is now as it was when it came out the factory and it all looks to line up.

Chain is tight but not too tight.

Anything else I should look at?

trail_rat
    Free Member

chains either not tight enough or your wheels slipping forwards.

cyclistm
    Free Member

hhmm, it might just be that simple. How tight is tight enough?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ronjeremy
    Free Member

As above, how do you keep your wheels in tension?

I use Surly TuggNuts on mine and have no issues

trail_rat
    Free Member

half inch movement up and down is a good start

also check that the tensions constant through the full rotation of your rings , if your chainrings bolted to the spider off center a perfectly tensioned chain can become untensioned part way through

also everything is singlesped right – sprocket/chain and chainring ?

i found the chain has to be exceedingly slack to come off propper SS kit on the road bike :s

trail_rat
    Free Member

i just tighten mine up with a ring spanner good and tight – no slippage issues ever.

eskay

also check that the tensions constant through the full rotation of your rings , if your chainrings bolted to the spider off center a perfectly tensioned chain can become untensioned part way through

This is a good point. Too many people check the tension at one point but it does vary throughout the pedal stroke.

Moses

Yes, check tension at several points on a rotation. Are you using SS chain?
    I use a tugnut equivalent on the drive side, to stop the axle slipping forward

edhornby

did you get all the chain and sprocket pitches to match? i.e. all on 1/8ths or all on 3/32

kilo

You can use a 1/8 th chain with 3/32 sprockets but not the other way around. you can check chain tension by spinning the pedals and then holding the bike sideways so the chainset is on the top but horizontal to the ground if the chain is too loose it’ll drop off

TiRed

The Sheldon method is to loosen the chainring bolts and set the chain tension to be even before retightening. Since chainrings are seldom centred perfectly. I run mine at 1/4 inch slack at most. As mentioned, if no tugnuts, use a ring spanner to get it tight. I also found larger sprockets and chainrings helped keep the rear wheel in place.

Finally, check the chainline is straight, although if it’s still running the original setup , I can’t imagine it’s this

cyclistm
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, tightened the chain and its all good. Have noticed tightspots, so the Sheldon method sounds good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Langster Chain Keeps Coming off?’ is closed to new replies.