Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • lane hogger vs police – dash cam
  • McHamish
    Free Member

If you think his driving is 100% ok, you need to send your license back to the DVLA.

samuri
    Free Member

If you think your reading is OK you need to go back to primary school.

The LAST video, he is being criticised for it here.

McHamish
    Free Member

Ha. You’re a funny guy.

Your post appears to support the lorry driver, perhaps you need to be clearer when commenting if you’re going to get upset when you’re misunderstood.

The point is, a good driver will make adjustments and attempt to accommodate the failings of other drivers.

faz083
    Free Member

until you’ve driven a truck that size I don’t think you can comment on his driving… making any manouvre quickly in a 44 ton truck is not going to end well. Also consider the blind spots, a lane change(Done properly) would take quite a while. Yes there are things in his videos that can be anticipated, but in his eyes – why on earth would a car pull onto the motorway doing a slower speed (considerably) than a truck? That’s just dangerous. So we assume that he assumed they were going to speed up.

If you were following, and every time a truck came to an sliproad they moved to the middle lane, there would be so much anger! You’ve got to think of the alternatives!

McHamish
    Free Member

Sure, but any advanced driving course instructor will tell you to assume that other drivers may do the unexpected.

This is much more important if you’re driving a 44 ton lorry.

You have to be an exemplary driver if you’re going to film the transgressions of other road users and post the result online. Particularly if they include a running commentary of your worrying angry reactions, and what appears to be your intimidation of the offending ‘bad driver’.

Gary_C

I remember joining the slow lane in front of a lorry to take the next exit, a big enough gap between the car in front and the lorry behind. The lorry took a dislike to my manoeuvre and decided to speed up to within a metre from my car, flashing his lights and beeping his horn, all at speed on a busy motor way.

I can honesty say I did nothing wrong, however the lorry driver didn’t like it.

Therein lies your problem. Going too slow to safely merge. The lorry would have been doing a maximum of 60mph ( governed by law ), so if you trundled in front of him perhaps he didn’t ‘speed up’ & instead just held his pre-set speed.

As stated previously in this thread, it’s up to the traffic joining the motorway to adjust their speed to the speed of the lane that they are joining. Not for the traffic on the motorway to ‘give way’ to joining traffic.

Speaking of ‘give way’ the road markings on the end of the slip roads are in fact give way markings.

Take a hypothetical situation: You are driving down a local road (not a m-way), you approach a Give Way junction, there is traffic approaching on the road that you are about to join, they have priority, you are obliged by law to give way. So what do you do ? just pull out ? No! So why should you treat a m-way/dc slip road any differently ?

Personally, when i’m driving in lane 1 & approaching a junction where there is an ‘on’ slip road I will move ( if possible ) into lane 2 to give joining traffic space to proceed. If I can’t move into lane 2 due to traffic then I will hold position in lane 1. The amount of drivers that blindingly, automatically, just pull onto the m-way & expect the traffic already on the road to give way to them is unbelievable!

An incident the other week. Driving down the M61 south. At the Reebok junction, I spot 2 cars coming down the slip road so I pull out into lane 2, the nearest other vehicle in front in lane 1 is a good 200metres ahead at least, 1st car comes down the slip road & goes straight out into lane 2 right in front of me at about 60mph ( i’m doing an indicated 75 ) What the **** ?? That I didn’t expect. Thank god for good brakes on my car!

Why the **** do people insist on calling lane 1 the ‘slow lane’? FFS. There’s no such thing.

fourbanger
    Free Member

It’s slow lane, middle lane and fast lane isn’t it?
    Slow lane for trucks, middle lane for driving in normally and fast lane for overtaking. Am I right?

McHamish
    Free Member

You are Derren Brown and I claim my 5 pounds.

As I said, I did nothing wrong, and he chose to speed up. But as you’re Derren Brown I understand you have to try to comment on an event you didn’t witness and know nothing about. 😆

I wondered how long it would take before some smart arse commented on me referring to it as a slow lane…not that long as it happens.

Edit…not Paul McKenna….unless you also do hypnosis as well as mind reading.

zokes
    Free Member

We hate changing lanes because of massive blind spots.

That’ll be why you insist on spending five hours in the outside lane trying to overtake another truck doing 0.00001 mph less than you on the A55 then?

Golden rule when driving – if your actions cause another driver to take evasive action, be it either by braking or having to change lane, then you’re at fault. In the videos above, yes, the truck driver was a moron for using a 40T truck as a weapon, but in both cases, the car drivers were very much at fault.

anagallis_arvensis

No zokes the timme is spent overtaking because their speed is limited and they have no acceleration. Which handily is an aid in pointing out that mchamish assertion that he did nothing wrong sounds like bollocks. At the very least it sounds like he was working in very small margins if a lorry accelersting put him in trouble.

stumpy01

Not saying lorry driver wasn’t being an idiot, but this thing of coming up the slip road & expecting everyone to clear a way for you really does my head in. Some people don’t even appear to use their mirrors until the very last moment.

I regularly get people shaking their head at me, beeping or flashing their lights when I have ‘got in their way’ even when I can’t pull out due to overtaking cars on my outside & they have clearly decided to ignore the huge gap behind me that they could have pulled into. It seems they want to get as far forward as possible & bugger everyone else, rather than looking for appropriate gaps.
    Some other pootle up the slip road struggling to join as they are going to slow, then once they have caused you to slow down to let them join, they floor it & leave you for dust. Why don’t they do that on the slip road so they can join without anyone having to slow.

The problem is, if people on the main carriageway always do the job of finding space for these people, they come to expect that this is the correct technique, rather than the onus being on them to merge safely.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have never driven in a slow lane. Does it have a different speed limit to the rest of the lanes?

Anyhow I usually hate the cock waiving caused by driving threads but I had a joining the motorway incident yesterday which fitted in with this.

Coming down the slip road I, as usual tried to get up to an acceptable speed of 60mph. Gives me enough speed to get straight up 70mph and not to fast to cause any issues with slow trucks. Anyhow the car that I presumed was joining the motorway as I was joining the slip road wasn’t….. In fact he was going about 20mph. And he joined the motorway at that speed into all the trucks etc who pulled into the middle lane. That meant I actually joined the motorway at 20mph which was insane. Howard and Hilda driving we oblivious to it.

singletrackmind

The car in lane 3 is probably nothing more than an American tourist who has been driving on the wrong side of the car / road for 30 mins in the dark ,having spent the last 12 hours on a red eye flight from San Francisco.
    Hence the reason they are hogging lane 3 , and try to pull over to the right when signalled by the Police. Also , as Americans they probably dont understand wy the other vehicle doesnt undertake as they are on a freeway.

Or he could just hurl abuse at a video camera without having the mental capacity to analyse what is going on .

Lifer
    Free Member

Spud – Member
    Very analogous to many of the videos you see from cyclists with a helmet cam on, no?

I don’t see that they’re similar, why do you think they are?

“Because they’ve both got cameras and are filming traffic” is the only one I could come up with.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The roads are full of shit drivers! Avoid them and move on!
    No amount of flashing, ranting, shouting, beeping will ever change the way they drive! As said above always drive expecting others mistakes and you’ll be sound!

lazybike
    Free Member

but this thing of coming up the slip road & expecting everyone to clear a way for you really does my head in.

seems to work ok on the continent, better than people slowing down and waiting for a gap, which seems really dangerous

piemonster

Ha, Picnic Lane

zokes
    Free Member

The car in lane 3 is probably nothing more than an American tourist who has been driving on the wrong side of the car / road for 30 mins in the dark ,having spent the last 12 hours on a red eye flight from San Francisco.
    Hence the reason they are hogging lane 3 , and try to pull over to the right when signalled by the Police. Also , as Americans they probably dont understand wy the other vehicle doesnt undertake as they are on a freeway.

Or he could just hurl abuse at a video camera without having the mental capacity to analyse what is going on .

So making the decision to drive in a foreign country before familiarising yourself with local traffic regulations when you’re exceedingly tired makes it all ok then? Does that explain them trying to brake-test the copper too?

singletrackmind

So making the decision to drive in a foreign country before familiarising yourself with local traffic regulations when you’re exceedingly tired makes it all ok then?

No , But I didnt say that did I .

And lets not pretend that it doesnt happen.

It might just be a confused old lady , or a drunk man.

No , its not ok and ignorance of a law is not a defence , but before we all stone the driver to death whilst cheering there might just be another leftfeild reason as to why they are driving like a twonk. That is all.

crazy-legs
    zokes
    Free Member

No , But I didnt say that did I .

No, but you certainly seemed to be looking for ways to excuse their inexcusable driving, which might have been construed to mean the same thing.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Clearly some dodgy driving by the truck driver, but mostly poor driving by the saps joining the carriageway and not accelerating to a safe speed, particularly that Audi that caused him the road rage where he pulled over in a dodgy manner. There’s a case for unmarked police cars being able to issue a requirement to resit the driving test when they witness people being unable to join carriageways in a safe manner as on some of those videos, or that fast lane hogger who should at least be done for dangerous driving after the braking.

For the congested slip road he should have seen a potential hazard and slowed down, and maybe changed lanes assuming that he had a good, clear view of that lane and it was clear.

Difficult to not get caught into road rage if you are continually exposed to idiot car drivers though, but he is doing his health no good by doing it.

glupton1976
    Free Member

For the congested slip road he should have seen a potential hazard and slowed down, and maybe changed lanes assuming that he had a good, clear view of that lane and it was clear.

What about his duty to maintain his speed and position to allow others to merge safely?

I have never had a problem merging with a motoryway or dual carriageway. The slip road is there to allow you to accelerate upto the speed of the traffic on the main road and slip in to the flow unnoticed.

McHamish
    Free Member

No zokes the timme is spent overtaking because their speed is limited and they have no acceleration. Which handily is an aid in pointing out that mchamish assertion that he did nothing wrong sounds like bollocks. At the very least it sounds like he was working in very small margins if a lorry accelersting put him in trouble.

If you’re unable to take my word for it, then I guess we’ll just have to move on.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m just amazed that someone who drives for a living can get so het up about bad driving. Even I’m not that bad.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

bad driving doesn’t cause accidents, thinking you’re the only person on the road with any reason to be anywhere, they cause the accidents.

All these blogs and videos about other peoples driving annoy the shit out of me, **** with no friends who have nothing better to do with their time than catalogue everyone else’s movements. The internet equivalent of a crying ****

johnners
    Free Member

bad driving doesn’t cause accidents

I suspect it probably does.

IanMunro
    Free Member

All these blogs and videos about other peoples driving annoy the shit out of me, **** with no friends who have nothing better to do with their time than catalogue everyone else’s movements. The internet equivalent of a crying ****

Which one of the cars that pulled out were you driving? 😀

rbrstr
    Free Member

Gary_C – Member

Speaking of ‘give way’ the road markings on the end of the slip roads are in fact give way markings.

no they are not, if they were, there would be an accompanying give way sign

you need to read a highway code book. you should not stop at the end of a slip road. period. the slip road is to build your speed up to motorway conditions and safely merge into lane one. the highway code clearly states you can and should use the hard shoulder as a continuation of the slip road if absolutely necessary. whats your prefered method then? stop at the end of the slip road and wait for a gap,pulling into lane 1 from a standing start??

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What about his duty to maintain his speed and position to allow
    others to merge safely?

Is there such a thing ??

the slip road was clogged up with cars and you could see that it was happening, meaning that they couldn’t merge out into the traffic within the number of spaces that were in front of the truck, meaning that it was clearly going to end up with the cars grinding to a halt at the end of the slip road and a dangerous situation resulting.

For that particular case slowing down to allow a bigger gap in front to try to alleviate the problem would have been a sensible thing to do – assuming that the car drivers were astute enough to notice and accelerate out into the gap, which is a long shot.

It would also have avoided the potential of making a mistake when attempting to rapidly change lanes and missing something in your blind spot.

konabunny
    Free Member

Well, I for one enjoyed the vulgarity of the truckie’s schadenfreude.

aracer
    Free Member

you need to read a highway code book. you should not stop at the end of a slip road. period

If you think you have to stop at a “give way”, then maybe you’re the one who needs to read the HC.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you need to read a highway code book. you should not stop at the end of a slip road. period

even if you are going to hit the approaching vehicle in the lane you are trying to join, because there is no space to merge into ??

Cougar

you need to read a highway code book… the highway code clearly states you can and should use the hard shoulder as a continuation of the slip road if absolutely necessary.

Could you show me where it “clearly states” this, please?

Only, rule 259 of The Highway Code expressly forbids it. (Emphasis mine:)

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder

you should not stop at the end of a slip road. period

I can’t immediately lay my hands on a THC rule for this, but I was taught that if you can’t merge, you should stop and wait. Whether or not that’s always good advice or not is debatable, but “…period” is very clearly nonsense, sorry.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘lane hogger vs police – dash cam’ is closed to new replies.