Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Landscape gardeners/ tree removal – Aberdeen area
  • Woody
    Free Member

My folks, who are getting on more than a bit, have received a quote for removal of 2x small conifer/shrub things, approx 1.5m x 1.5m max from their front garden. Apparently the quote is from a ‘highly reputable’ company and they are removing slabs etc to get roots and it’s a ‘big job’!! TBH I hadn’t even noticed the things last time I was up (that’s how small they are) and I was unaware that there was an issue with them.

There are no access issues as it’s a small front garden mostly slabbed over. The amount they have been quoted seems utterly outrageous to me. I won’t say what it is yet but would appreciate if there is anyone on here could give me an idea of cost and if they know anyone who has expertise in this area who might be able to give them another quote.

footflaps

Why bother digging out the roots, just cut the stump to ground and poison the root network / stump.

Woody
    Free Member

That was my thoughts too and I can’t understand why it needs full removal. I was all set to head up there but earliest will be December and they seem set on getting it done now!

damion
    Free Member

I would imagine the balance of the quote will be for the removal of the stumps. Time consuming and hideous job. Have they said that they’d dig them up?

Personally I’d be asking the tree surgeons to remove the trees to ground level and then get someone like stumpbusters in to grind the stump.

Woody
    Free Member

All the quote says is :- dig out 2 conifers, dig out root at house door, slabs will need to be re-laid.

I could understand if they were massive with huge roots but these things are now at their max height ever!

juanking

As above, cut them flush and poison the remainder. We (based in Aberdeen) got quite a few quotes in for some landscaping and the variance on price was huge, did the local firm have a James in the name??

trail_rat
    Free Member

if juanking is close with his guess then dont employ them purely on the fact they drive like they own the road having had their drivers just about taken me out a few times and a couple of the guys i sometimes chain gang with a few times as well.

try hugo greaves of greaves gardering http://www.greavesgardening.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

he does gardens and landscaping in aberdeen , hes a friend of a friend but hes still small enough care.

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers guys and yes they have a
    ‘James’ in the name and are maybe not a ‘young’ company 😉

Cheers TR I’ll give them a try.

Quote was £600 incl. VAT BTW

juanking

My spidey senses are legendary!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Depending on what type of conifer you may find a bonsai enthusiast who would be happy to dig them up and take then away

glasgowdan
    Free Member

£60-80 to cut to ground and remove. £150 inc stumps. All-in inc realligning slabs. The 600 quote should have those crooks up in court, obv saw a potentially weak customer.

Woody
    Free Member

TR’s recommendation has come up trumps. Less than a quarter of the first quote so many thanks.

Glasgowdan – I agree with you. I detest these scumbags who try to rip off elderly people and have been tempted to give trading standards or a local paper a call but my folks just don’t need hassle like that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good to hear woody. I thought he would be reasonable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Landscape gardeners/ tree removal – Aberdeen area’ is closed to new replies.