Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Landrovers… I am very tempted…
  • ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I am taking a look this weekend 😀

It will have to have some major problems for me not to buy it…..
    and insurance will be £98 ! 😀
    Considering my current policy is just under £500, thats a large chuck of the Landy paid for !

z1ppy

no thats a large chunk to put towards you first repair bill..

M8’s running round in a lightweight with the top down at the moment, I’m sooooo jealous

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Cars always seem to end up costing the earth though dont they ?

Since I have been commuting every day since christmas I can now afford to get something which is inpractical, costly and unreliable, but FUN !

With another nipper on the way I need to get all the silly stuff brought before baby clothes/equipment take all my money 😉

And my six year old lad with be blown away with his Dad having a “proper army jeep” as he calls them.

jackthedog
    Free Member

As a Land Rover owner, can I just raise the security issue again in case it was overlooked.

Landies go missing A LOT. If it’s not securely garaged, invest in some additional quality security (not a £15.99 steering wheel bar from the local garage) or your new purchase won’t be around long enough for you to enjoy it.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I live away/hidden from the road, in the sticks so not too concerned.
    But point taken. It will be boxed in by other cars and surrounded by a 6 foot high fence with a large dog wandering around…..

Hopefully that’s enough, what sort of device are you thinking ? Alarm or something more physical….

jackthedog
    Free Member

I sound like I’m scare mongering now, but it’s not limited to the inner city. It’s not joyriders or casual theft, rather they’re being specifically targeted as they shift easily. It would take you about 2 hours to strip a Landy down to it’s component parts, and there’s always a big market for cheap Landy bits.

You get reports of 15 or more going from areas like Derbyshire in one night. In one night 3 went missing from the same farm out this way a few months back. Through two locked gates, across two fields and away.

God bless ebay.

Diskloks are about as good as anything – the proper branded ones that enclose the wheel. Best thing to do is have a search over all the Land Rover forums for security, and see what they’re doing.

Generally the best security is just keeping it out of sight, and not advertising it’s presence.

Don’t want to sound such a doom monger, I just want to stop you suffering the same issue I did a few year ago, when my new pride and joy lasted 3 weeks outside the house before it was goneski.

The theft risk is the only reason I don’t have one as a daily driver any more.

Daniel
    Free Member

Be careful. Someone pinched my tdi 90 stw a few years back. Middle of the day from a car park in the centre of a market town. I eventually bought a td5 110 stw, but I was constantly wary.

I sold the 110 and bought an estate car as a daily driver and I’m building a series 1 for tatting around in at the weekends. It’ll stay in a garage.

I still get the urge for a lightweight or similar for daily use, something that looks scruffy so does not attract attention and you don’t need to worry about it getting knocked about, but with decent mechanicals.

gregc
    Free Member

If someone nicks my series 3 I’ll just jog alongside and catch them up . Err then I’ll assess the situation …

stonemonkey
    Free Member

yes my landy was pinched at xmas along with about 20 others by a group operating in south yorkshire area. It was taken away on the back of a low loader apprentley . doors locks can be opened with any spoon. Try National Farmers Union for insureance.

timber

Place I work has had them nicked, particularly with a fleet of newer lr, 130 is quite a target, people are now put off but the large quantity of shite we keep in it, took a day and a half to empty at the last lease change over

Otherwise, easy method adopted on some of our kit is to have some convenient wires you can seperate in the ignition circuit to prevent starting.

quads are a nightmare, when on the edge of Plymouth it was clamped to the floor, chained to the tractor and locked in a shed, 20 foot from the house.

Marmoset
    Free Member

If that engines a bit rough, bear in mind that you can pick up a V8 engine cheap as chips and do a conversion. It’s probably cheaper to do that than buy a runner with a rough body, and more fun 😀

hora
    Free Member

Of course enthusiasts always paint a great picture of their vehicle. And you are looking through Rosso Red coloured glasses.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m loathed to drive another brand, and have owned a 75, 145, 147, GTV*, 156 Sportwagon*. But they’ve all been far more of a nightmare than any other car I’ve owned. Cutting out, pricey servicing (head off, regulator, cam belt, etc every 30,000).

Love ’em to bits though.

* Still got in various states of repair.

Funnily, Subaru Foresters are supposed to be ‘bombproof’/solid as etc however my electric window went ‘thunk’ this morning and refused to raise again. garage think its probably going to be a new window motor and lots of lovely labour.

hot_fiat

Found this. Sorry for the hijack!

I think I need a lie down. Dribble….

Breras – I so very very nearly bought a 2.4SV in Miseano blue when I got my current job. Sadly I do far too many miles and logic dictated that bangernomics had to kick in: the maleria’s cost 2.5k over three years and 100000 miles, a Brera would literally have cost ten times as much.

hora
    Free Member

I know but if you HAD TO play over a automotive car that wasnt extortinote what would you chose?… Beemer? No. Audi? **** off…. Alfa? hmmm GT? No- 147/156 interior…. 159 interior? ……stroke abit harder….that rump?…..stop it…no stop….corr..

Yep- rum night and dinner guests in the next room….naughtiness alround.

swamp_boy

Unless you are a farmer or something like that its hard to find a logical, hard headed economic reason for owning a Land Rover. BUT that’s not the point of Land Rovers. You will either hate it and get rid of it at the first possible opportunity or get hooked like one of the previous posters said. Be warned that they can take over your life, many LR owners don’t just have one, they have whole collections. I’ve driven most of them over the years and owned quite a few, I’m down to a fairly sensible two now, one of which is the daily drive. Your social like can become LR centred as well, you know that’s happened when the high point of your year is Old Sodbury’s Sortout.

Most LR people are friendly and supportive of fellow addicts, try looking at http://www.difflock.com for an idea.

XC_PK
    Free Member

Im not even old enough to drive and I still enjoyed Sodbury!!

swamp_boy

Quote “Im not even old enough to drive and I still enjoyed Sodbury!! “

Says it all

psling
    Free Member

swamp_boy – Member
    Unless you are a farmer or something like that its hard to find a logical, hard headed economic reason for owning a Land Rover. BUT that’s not the point of Land Rovers. You will either hate it and get rid of it at the first possible opportunity or get hooked…

Too true! Bit like riding a SingleSpeed really 😉

I’ve not been without a Land Rover of some sort or other for nearly thirty years. I’ve trialled them, raced them, rebuilt them. Oldest was a ’55 Series 1 (think rigid ss), currently have a Ninety td5 (think full sus xc).

Old Sodbury Sortout, never been the same since the Old Sod moved it from from Old Sodbury 🙁 Needs must though.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Landrovers… I am very tempted…’ is closed to new replies.