Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Landlordtrackworld: Can I replace a light fitting?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The fluorescent tube light in the OH’s old flat has blown and in trying to replace it the tenants have pulled it off the ceiling slightly*.

It’s old horrible yellowed plastic so we want to replace it like for like with a new one. In our house I’d do it without a second thought (except for something nicer than a tube).

Anyone got a link to a definitive answer on whether I can do it myself? Google brings up plenty of other forums and plenty of other opinions, including electricians saying you can DIY it as long as it’s like for like and armchair lawyers saying you will rot in jail for so much as looking at a kitchen light bulb funny.

*forgivable, I’ve just called in and couldn’t figure out how the bulb comes out either so we just want to replace it for them.

ricky1
    Free Member

All depends on who you ask really,I’m a plasterer but I’m not an electrician of a plumber,but my opinion on the matter is that whatever you touch,be it a pipe or a wire,it then becomes your problem,of as the law would see it,the last person to touch it,with laws the way they are these days I would pay a qualified electrician,hope this helps.

nickjb
    Free Member

Problem may be that the rules changed not that long ago so work that was notifiable (effectively making it tricky to diy) is now not. Hence the debate. Kitchen is no longer a special location, unless it has a shower in it! As it isn’t a special location you can do quite a lot of work including something simple such as a like for like swap. Obviously you’d still be in trouble if you left something in a dangerous state, legal work or not.

Marin
    Free Member

Yes but if your tenants electrocute themselves on it you are totally screwed. For gas and electric I always get trades in. Peace of mind is priceless.

poolman
    Free Member

I d get a competent person to do it, as above if u touch it you are liable

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Landlordtrackworld: Can I replace a light fitting?’ is closed to new replies.