Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Landlord Advice
  • scuzz
    Free Member

Hi all,
    So, my Landlord likes to give random workmen keys to the flat and the first I hear about it is a knock at the door (It’s pretty clear they’d let themselves in if I wasn’t in, although I can’t be 100% sure).
    I was under the impression that the landlord had to give 24 hours’ notice before popping in to visit. Is this true? Where can I read up on this?

Where do I stand on home insurance for these shenanigans?

On another note, what’s the deal with deposit protection schemes? I seem to remember there being a cut-off date before which they had to provide me with some information. I’ve been there for just under a couple of years, heard zilch.

Any help much appreciated.

Pieface

Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement? Should all be detailed there.

DrP

Yes, landlord should have to provide you with suitable peace and privacy, and really 24hrs notice with your permission.

Also, it’s against the law if they aren’t using the DPS.

DrP

scuzz
    Free Member

Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement? Should all be detailed there.

I’ll have a look – what happens if the above points aren’t specifically mentioned?

dannybgoode

24 hours notice in writing is required regardless of tenancy agreement IIRC.

Cheers

Danny B

samuri
    Free Member

As above. The law (not the tenancy agreement), states that while you are a tenant, the property is effectively your private domain and the landlord must provide notice for any visit. The DPS is also enshrined in law and must be followed.

See here for your access rights.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_renting_a_home_e/common_problems_with_renting.htm#The_landlords_rights_of_entry

scuzz
    Free Member

Chaps,
    Much appreciated

project
    Free Member

As a tradesman who works in residents homes, i now refuse to work in occupied flats, where there is no one in attendance duuring the visit, you could be accused of stealing/damagaging anything just because the tennant has a problem with the landlord or theyre being petty.

If the job needs doing either the landlord waits there or the resident stays in,stops a lot of future greif.

Kit
    Free Member
    totalshell

just like project we now refuse to work in properties that have no tenant representative present and without having spoken to the tenant before the day ( unless an emergency eg no heat/ leak)

previously we were regularly accused of theft, causing damage and having not actually been in the property..

the most bizarre was been accused of a theft 6 months after we had been in a property and identified specifically by the tenant as the thief. interviewed under caution down the cop shop all lawyered up the lot.. only for the cop to say on my release ” we knew it wasnt you as the little old lady across the road said it was a young skinny lad with a wheel barrow.. being a fat balding middle aged plumber does have advantages..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Landlord Advice’ is closed to new replies.