Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Landline oddities
  • northshoreniall

Ignoring the having a landline discussion, have had a couple of odd incidents phoning parents in Southern Ireland from England landline to landline.
    Been 4 or 5 episodes now where will be speaking with mum when without any notice her side of the conversation will go into a loop playing back her responses/ questions until I hang up, exact same pauses as when we were talking immediately prior to happening. From her end she says my phone goes dead.
    Any idea how/ why this can happen? Not sure how it can be saved/ replayed? 1st time was very worried she was having some sort of event and couldn’t hear/ perceive my voice on the call. Happened again today. Worth ringing Sky/BT/ her landline provider or is there a simple explanation?
    Thanks,
    Niall

flannol
    Free Member

Police surveillance software/hardware glitch?

northshoreniall

Didn’t think us Irish were the surveillance priority anymore, maybe with brexit we’ve moved back up the list 🤔

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    franksinatra

Deep fake Mum malfunctioning?

rossburton
    Free Member

My guess: somewhere, from your phone through the phone network to their phone, is a ring buffer for audio. The bit of code that is meant to be writing new audio into it isn’t, so the playback code just loops the same fragment. The duration of the loop is the size of the buffer: this is why when CDs skip you get a fraction repeated over and over: the playback continues playing from the buffer but the reader isn’t putting new audio into the buffer.

I’d say its most likely to be your phone or their phone, and not the network.

northshoreniall

Cheers @rossburton both handsets are getting on a bit so will look at upgrading, theirs has always been a bit rubbish (cheap)

Or just look at updating mums software 😁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Landline oddities’ is closed to new replies.