Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Lance fessed up to Oprah
  • charliedontsurf

There, it’s leaked, no need to endure the Oprah tv BS now… http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/15/lance-armstrong-oprah-winfrey-drugs

Meanwhile hundreds of lawyers are about to pounce, including the US government. This could be interesting.

walleater

Someone needs to re-issue the ‘Wankstrong’ wrist bands.

cynic-al
    Free Member

[Quote]Before the interview was taped, Armstrong took time out to apologise to the staff of his Livestrong cancer foundation. The disgraced cyclist, who was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles amid a welter of allegations that he was guilty of doping, addressed an emotional meeting of Livestrong staff and said “I’m sorry”, an unnamed source told AP. Apologising for disappointing them and putting the foundation at risk, Armstrong reportedly “choked up” during the meeting, with employees also in tears.[/quote]

You have to wonder IMO genuine this is. Will be interesting to see how it all unfurls, as the monger says.

rickmeister

I just hope he has taken some good legal advice to ringfence his charity cash, or move as much of his stash as possible into a secure trust or something for this reason.

Despite the doping, there probably has been a lot of beneficiaries from the charity side and some good work done. I think it would be a shame if this was raped by lawyers and any good work / causes / individuals suffered.

aracer
    Free Member

I just hope he has taken some good legal advice to ringfence his charity cash, or move as much of his stash as possible into a secure trust or something for this reason.

I hope he gets made bankrupt. If any of the charity money is linked to him in any way in which it can be considered part of his assets, then it’s even worse than I thought.

enfht
    Free Member

He’s also rumoured to admit that 29er performance gains are “a load of old bollocks”.

bigdean

Not sure he should be made bankrupt, was he dealing to the rest of the tour/ forcing the team to dope or was he following the culture at the time? I couldn’t.
    The positive is all he money it raised for charity, doubt any charity will want to be associated with him now though.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

This should increase Oprah’s viewing figures!

geoffj

David Miller stylee – I was a victim, warts an all biog likely to be already in print.
    Shame for the charidee work.

Mantastic
    Free Member

The interview is set to air at 2am on Friday UK time.

How do I view this, anyone know?

jota180
    Free Member

Discovery Channel

aP
    Free Member

LaLa’s charity work has always appeared to be a cynical ploy to allow him to do whatever he wanted to including threaten and bully others and destroy their careers. Any question or query about him that he didn’t like was answered by a lecture on his charity work – about which many concerns have been raised including massive personal appearance fees. As far as I’m concerned I’d decided back in 99 that there was something very wrong about him and had never supported him since – and his stated current aim of getting back into competition isn’t going to happen as he has a mandatory 8 year (I think it’s 8?) ban from all competition.
    I wish he’d just bugger off and go and live in Thailand or somewhere like that.

mt
    Free Member

I still believe!

honourablegeorge

bigdean – Member
    Not sure he should be made bankrupt, was he dealing to the rest of the tour/ forcing the team to dope

Yes. Yes he was.

leffeboy

He’s also rumoured to admit that 29er performance gains are “a load of old bollocks”

we have a winner

leffeboy

Meanwhile hundreds of lawyers are about to pounce, including the US government.

Where did you see that? I thought the US government was undecided on this still

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Anyone else wondering how much Oprah will be contributing to his legal fees for this story?

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Just imagine how much he’ll gain from the book and movie deal… poor old soul!!

phil.w
    Free Member

I believe it will be live on Oprah’s website.

titusrider
    Free Member

Don’t get confused like I did,2am Friday is of course Thursday night.. I felt like a dunce when I figured that out!

I presume the web streaming is available in the uk right?

Trying to wangle wfh Friday so I can stay up with a bottle of wine and watch him embarrass himself 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Where did you see that? I thought the US government was undecided on this still

The DOJ still have Landis’ ‘Whistle Blower’ case.
    I very much doubt that LA gave any evidence under oath to the Grand Jury, but if he did and now has changed his story, a perjury charge will be forthcoming.

hora
    Free Member

If he comes out and admits he cheated/was cohered and blames it on him being emotionally fragile post-cancer and was cohered then it could be a tricky one. Then he had to continue living a lie in a bubble inside a world of drugs where it was norm.

How do we go about attacking him? Canny if he does. He does hold that one card.

leffeboy

The DOJ still have Landis’ ‘Whistle Blower’ case.

Yep, but I thought it was undecided whether or not the government would weigh in on that one or if Landis was going alone.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s also rumoured to admit that 29er performance gains are “a load of old bollocks”.

Genuine LOL! 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

David Miller stylee

More than stylee. The parallels are obvious to the unblinkered.
    Will Lala get the same respect as Millar if he repents?
    He should do.

charliedontsurf

If you do watch it on TV, here is a bingo card from drunk cycliist.

But it is missing “level playing field” and “yeah but I made shit loads of money”

charliedontsurf

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl5RxhLZ5U[/video]

jota180
    Free Member

Will Lala get the same respect as Millar if he repents?

I don’t have any respect for Millar at all, so yeah, he will

qwerty
    Free Member

Lance: “i wish i’d been like Nicole”

I did not have long to wait before encountering suspicious circumstances. In the fridge [in a team house] were various bottles and vials with diaphragms on top for extracting the contents via syringes. I rang dad and asked what I should do. We chatted it through and came to the conclusion that even condoning the presence of ‘medicines’ in the house I was staying, could lead to pressure being put on me, or in the worst case, if there was a raid on the house, it was highly unlikely that any of the “professionals ” I was sharing the house with were going to say “it’s a fair cop guv, That gear is all mine.” So, I emptied the fridge and put the lot out in the front garden and [said] either it went or I went. It went.

I have had days where temptation to start onto the slippery slope was brought in front of me. [In one race] I was asked what “medicines” I would like to take to help me, and was reminded that the team had certain expectations of me during the race and I was not living up to them with my performance over the last couple of stages. I said I would do my best until I had to drop out of the race, but I was not taking anything.

Pressure was put on me but I was determined, and fortunate. I had a very good team-mate who was in a similar predicament and she took the same stance I did. Team-mates that say “NO” are priceless. I would have been very naive to think that I would not encounter moments, like this. I am appalled that so many men bleat on about the fact that the pressures were too great. Too great for what? This is not doing 71 mph on the motorway when the legal limit is 70. This is stealing somebody else’s livelihood. It is theft just as much as putting your hand in a purse or wallet and taking money is theft. Theft has gone on since the dawn of time but because somebody, somewhere else, does it, does not mean it is right for you to do it. There can be no excuse.

FWIW – a 16yr old lad i knew who raced on the euro cx scene independently, was approached, and raced against racers who were, abnormal on race days, after chatting with his dad about his options he turned his back on the sport and went into engineering. Personally i think it’ll always be a part of pro cycling, i don’t think it reaches as deep as commuters and potterers… yet.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/analysis/commentary-forget-oprah-what-is-armstrong-offering-usada_271409

LA speaks to USADA and drops a bomb on the UCI and team managers in exchange for reduced ban and no custodial sentence?

jonba
    Free Member

Not sure how

aracer – Member

I hope he gets made bankrupt. If any of the charity money is linked to him in any way in which it can be considered part of his assets, then it’s even worse than I thought.

Will go bankrupt, wait a bit, then release book and film to make money back.

The only reason he is confessing is because he was caught and lost everything.

Tom-B
    Free Member

IMO Nicole Cooke said all that needs saying yesterday.

binners

Looking at the type of bloke he is, do you reckon he’s presently dedicating his efforts to ring-fencing the charities cash? Or his own?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder…

hora
    Free Member

i don’t think it reaches as deep as commuters and potterers… yet.

If it helps guarantee that someone will podium at HTN do you think someone will take something?

Of course. The mind of the cheat isn’t always about winning money. Its peers looking upto you as well.

wrecker
    Free Member

i don’t think it reaches as deep as commuters and potterers… yet.

I seem to remember a story about a commuter in the states who took EPO so that he could get the best STRAVAAAA time!

leffeboy

LA speaks to USADA and drops a bomb on the UCI and team managers

If the NYT article is true this might not be such a waste of time after all

charliedontsurf

Somewhere in the news is a story about lance repaying $500,000 which was donated to him by supporters to help him fight these dreadful allegations. Right to the end he was happy to take the cash and continue lieing.

Reminds me of hitler at the end, surrounded, not many options… The game is up.

I also think that we ( cyclists, book buyers, race organisers, media, Hollywood, sponsors etc) should not give him the chance to rise again. It would be nice not to facilitate Lance taking us on another ride.

wrecker
    Free Member

LA speaks to USADA and drops a bomb on the UCI and team managers

Looks like he took the nuclear option.

hora
    Free Member

Reminds me of hitler at the end, surrounded, not many options… The game is up.

Err just go away. Live a life like many other millions. Quietly? Normally?

Nope, the EGO demands revenge.

Nobby

It would be nice not to facilitate Lance taking us on for another ride.

FTFY. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Lance fessed up to Oprah’ is closed to new replies.