Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Lamb for Christmas Dinner… different in a good way or just plain wrong?
  • sunshiner1der
    Free Member

So I’m cooking Christmas Dinner this year for family, in the past it’s always been Turkey, but I fancy a chance this year and am thinking about Lamb, (had venison last year when it was just hubby and me) but as it’s for more than just the two of us, would it be wrong to ditch the Turkey?

Thought’s please?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Wrong.

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Gammon… yes, beef… maybe, birds stuffed with birds… fantastic.

If someone comes along and says it sounds

yummy

they’re definitely insane, or not thinking about what day it is.

cinnamon_girl

Get a good quality turkey and you can’t go wrong.

You may well hack off your guests if you serve something different!

meandyuk

Have what ever you want !!

We are having a bird within a bird within a bird within a bird

Torminalis
    Free Member

Sounds yummy.

phil.w
    Free Member

Anything but turkey.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have done lamb before, but good alternative to horrid dry turkey is a succulent Goose – with added benefit of tons of goose fat to make superb roasties for rest of the year 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

sounds good, turkey is crap.

binners

As long as you’ve got loads of pigs in blankets, anything would be fine by me 😀

Turkeys good though. With about 3 different stuffings. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Could just eat that now actually

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ditch the dry old bird and go for lamb and chicken….

crispy
    Free Member

I avoid turkey at all costs.

Drac

We always have beef, a ham and a free range chicken. Don’t work about the Turkey tradition as it’s Turkey isn’t traditional.

jon1973
    Free Member

turkey is crap.

Only if you don’t cook it properly. That said, I did roast duck last year and will probably do the same this year. Year before I did goose.

fenred
    Free Member

Goose or duck FTW!

RustySpanner

Lamb butties with cranberry sauce whilst falling asleep to Dr Who?

Not going to work, is it?

Have lamb this weekend instead 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I have demanded from Mrs North that, if we’re having people round at Christmas, we’re doing fish.

I’ve yet to eat this fabled well cooked turkey – it’s evidently a skill only reserved for the finest Michelin-starred chefs and not joe punter.

Klunk
    Free Member

Only if you don’t cook it properly. That said, I did roast duck last year and will probably do the same this year.

yawn, dry ol’ crap.

binners

Just pop out for supplies for everyone. I think they’re open Christmas day

INNIT? 😀

Nick

It’s been years since I had a dry horrible turkey, all the ones I’ve had over the last couple of years have been really good, like the best roast chicken but better.

But lamb sounds nice.

Always been a bit disappointed with farmed goose, very fatty, smoky oven, smoky fat flavour, not much meat for the cost. Prefer wild goose but you have to know someone who shoots to get one and they are too variable (some are nice, some taste of the estuary) for Christmas day.

But hey, have what ever you like, it’s your dinner, it’s not “wrong”.

ourmaninthenorth

Oh, and can we all clear one thing up (before I come out in hives):

The meal taken in the middle of the day is not dinner, it’s LUNCH..!

cinnamon_girl

It’s no good buying a cheap frozen bird from Tesco. Go for Bronze free-range. Bring to room temperature and when cooking keep covered but baste regularly. Uncover for last 1 hour then let bird stand. Don’t have oven on too high a temperature either.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

The Goose is a good idea or the bird within a bird within a bird… we have roast chicken about once a week anyway so I was wanting something a bit more special. The Venison last year as amazing, but don’t want to eat the same as last year this year.

We always eat in the evening, so I was right in when I said Christmas Dinner!

Gammon and Beef are planned for Boxing day… thanks for giving me some ideas!

prezet
    Free Member

Ah, the ‘inception’ lunch…

Nowt wrong with lamb. Turkey is fowl 😀

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’m thinking of an altogether more regal bird. One with an extremely fervent, some may say forceful, interest in religion and a raging uncertainty about it’s own sexuality. It may be difficult getting it into the oven though – they can break your arm you know.

phil.w
    Free Member

+ rip the legs off and cook them separate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Eat whatever the hell you like. Who the hell cares if everyone else has turkey? Geez, some people attach far too much value to what everyone else thinks.

Personally, I love roast turkey, but whatever you like.

binners

😆

Looks like its A&E for you Christmas day Mitch

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

The bird within a bird thing is just wrong, and it reminds me of the old ‘razzle pile up’. 😳

Lifer
    Free Member

Best Christmas dinner I’ve ever had was last year, Beef Wellington.

😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m having a slow roasted crocodiles cock served with with carrots and legumes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Why not?

I’m bored with the “traditional” xmas thing after having endured 36 of them to date, so I was delighted to see an advert in our local Bangladeshi place for a three course xmas meal for £24.95.

Bangladeshi cuisine for xmas? Hell yes.

chvck
    Free Member

Pah, quail inside a micropig inside a lamb inside a goat inside a cow inside a buffalo.

crazy-legs

We haven’t had turkey for years.
    My grandparents always used to get a massive turkey from some local farm, the result being that they’d end up eating turkey for the next 3 weeks. Madness. Once they got past the age of actually being able to look after themselves, things got a lot easier!

Pheasant, duck or venison for us.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Well, rather than the fundamentalist muslim bi-curious swan, and my previous likening of the bird in bird thing to a razzle pile up, this stuffing a creature inside another creature has, I must admit, whetted my appetite. Now, I just need to find an old lady that’s swallowed a spider …

ebygomm
    Free Member

I was quite happy to ditch the turkey and go with the Danish tradition of duck and pork.

If people want turkey that’s fine, but can’t believe how many people have turkey because it’s ‘traditional’ even though they’re not that keen on it.

LHS
    Free Member

Xmas day? Only one possible thing to eat.

Steak.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sounds good to me.
    But the lamb butties would surely have mint sauce or redcurrant jelly, no?

OP, you might want to get a vote on the lamb, just in case…

And christmas dinner is christmas dinner no matter what time you have it. Lunch indeed. Whoever heard of christmas lunch or christmas tea?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

my sister served venison and told her kids that it was Rudolf

MadBillMcMad

leg of lamb marinated in a bottle of wine & lots of garlic over night .

yummy & slightly side on from your standard roast.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Lamb for Christmas Dinner… different in a good way or just plain wrong?’ is closed to new replies.