Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Lakes- which new hardtail frame as only bike?
  • alinotley
    Free Member

I’d definitely go for a full sus in the lakes, however if you’re set on a hardtail check out the new Morf from Stif cycles

mcnultycop

After buying my fatty (Charge Cooker Maxi) I’ve not taken my full bouncer up to the Lakes. The fat tyres make the rocky climbs easy and I love descending on mine.

vondally
    Free Member

Ritchey p 29… great bike on my second with 120 mm forks though for lakes I would prefer more room for a bigger tyre…I also have a stooge with 26 X 4 front and 27.5 X 2.8 rear and it is noticeably more interesting and comfy on the rocks ..limited only by the rigid fork and my ineptitude…however not much slower than my full suss yes if I was racing it would massive but I am not so quite happy.

I would look at a 29er with good true clearance and bigger fork

Chromag?
    Last?

Edit my 26 litespeed Kitsuma with pikes and 2.5 tyres was an excellent lakes bike…..ahhhh glory days….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But you’ve still got a hard tail at the end of the day, only with a 170mm fork you’ve got a very heavy weight up front too. You’re unlikely to ever be going fast enough over the kind of terrain that makes real use of a big fork on a hardtail. If you wanted a high front end there’s, stems, spacers and riser bars for that. All horribly unfashionable, but >200g lighter and probably more controllable too (170mm is ~7deg steeper HA just as your weights being pitched forward).

Na, sounds pish. 200g over a day in the Lakes **** all. And I’ve rode plenty of TomB’s routes, I want a big fork for those. But then I have lyrik and ride fairly regularly in the lakes, what do I know?…..

And why does being 6 foot 3 mean you HAVE to have a 29er? What utter shite.

clareymorris

Cotic BfE……no question!
    Go and see Max up at Cyclewise

tymbian
    Free Member

Every type of bike has been recommended apart from a tricycle..fatbike, E-bikes, rigid 29ers, full suss, alloy, steel, long-travel hardtail, short-travel hardtail…..good luck choosing.

Sanny
    Free Member

Transition Sonder – £850 built up with a decent Rock Shox fork and a SRAM drivetrain (shame it is 1 x though). Looks lovely too! 😀 Add a dropper post and you are laughing.

Well that was easy. You can close the thread now! 😉

senorj

I would recommend any steel frame that you like the look of .
    My p7 is a much more pleasant ride,in the lakes,than a similar Ali. frame.

chakaping
    Free Member

Transition Sonder – £850 built up with a decent Rock Shox fork and a SRAM drivetrain (shame it is 1 x though). Looks lovely too! Add a dropper post and you are laughing.

Well that was easy. You can close the thread now!

He might have to go straight to the other thread about “what plus tyres aren’t made of tissue paper” though.

chakaping
    Free Member

a cheap 2k16 genesis high latitude

Forgot about those, excellent suggestion.

rockandride
    Free Member

I’ve yet to find any trail that couldn’t be attacked on my Ragley Bigwig with 130mm Rockshox Yari and Ibis carbon wheels. Racing Enduro all year on it and recently hammered most trails in the Tweed Valley. There’s certainly nothing in the Lakes that NEEDS full suspension. Either the Ragley or a Stanton Sherpa would be my choice.

honourablegeorge

Would deffo recommend the Last Fast Forward, been loving mine.

Would not recommend plus tyres over 29s if you’re dealing with a lot of rock, although newer tyres coming out will hopefully resolve that .

TomB

Clare- had a chat with max yesterday. Cotic don’t do XL in soul or BFe, worried about reach. I know max rides a BFe but I don’t ride like him! (Plus I’m a bit taller than him too)

Put my leg over a Stanton switchback 18″ long, might be able to make that fit, no big Sherpa to try at Cyclewise, demo is a M.

Can Pikes be adjusted for travel relatively easily? Notice DD cycles offer the Shan GT with either 120 or 140mm, would be good to be able to change between to see what suits best.

Shortlist so far:
    29er: Sherpa, Shan GT, big wig(not excited by this one), Solaris?
    650b: P7, switchback, morf, bird zero

Cheers for the varied and interesting suggestions. Awaiting fat bike and tricycle recommendation!

ton

you want to borrow my jones+ while i am laid up?

been told it is up to lakes type stuff by Jeff himself.

honourablegeorge

Pikes need the air spring swapped to change travel – think it’s about £30 for the spring, and the lowers have to come off to swap it.

jasonabudd

Get in touch with Cotic they’ll organise a demo ride on your local trails. I’m pretty sure they have all three of their hard tails as demo bikes.

snapperdan
    Free Member

If you can get a frame which fits you I’d recommend a Cotic Soul – they’re very versatile bikes.

I rode the Grizedale PMBA Enduro on mine with some big tyres on it and the bike coped with it far better than I did….

I’ve got some skinny tyres on it at the moment and it’s mainly ridden through woodland singletrack. It feels very agile.

I’ve ridden it with a 140mm and a 120mm fork and like both, but my riding in the Peaks/Lancs/Mancs suits 120mm more.

Some big tyres and an adjustable travel fork like a Pike would make it even more versatile.

Never ridden a Solaris, but those I know who have them love them – more wheel options if you do decide to go 27.5+ too. I’d find that very tempting on rocky Lakeland trails…

All this crap about must having a FS for the Lakes is a bit much – some of us actually enjoy the challenge of riding a hardtail over rocky ground!

boxelder

Tom, I’m local to you and ride an XL Solaris mainly – 29 and B+. Great all rounder. You can try it if you mail me, though it now has a big dent in the top tube 😥 (for which Cotic have made a nice offer for replacement). XLs due in November. 130mm fork at moment, but will drop to 120mm when I get around to it.

TomB

Thanks, Boxelder. That would be really helpful. I will be in touch!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Give it a year and I may have something close to ideal.

Ping me if you want more info.

Yetiman
    Free Member

OK, so it’s a bit on the spendy side but if you’re looking for something that might be a bit of a keeper may I suggest a BTR Ranger 29. A friend has one, with a 120mm Yari, and it is very nice indeed, and very capable by all accounts.

fizik
    Free Member

I really regret not waiting til the rims were back in stock in black but this rides way better than my BFe did (for wide open lakes stuff and climbing anyway) 702mm ett and 425 stays, really. Forks are surprisingly good compared with my Pikes, not bad for 1100 quid stock leaves room for upgrades etc which the frame seems very worthy of. Mines an XL

TomB

Fizik, how tall are you? One shop seems to still have XL in stock, following a quick google. How’s the dropper? Any idea what the stock wheels (Alex?) are like?

Cheers

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Ti 456? It’tt handle anything. I’ve got a Mk 1 20″ and I’m 6’4″

fizik
    Free Member

I am 6 foot 3, the stock Alex wheels are fine, went up tubeless really easy and also very light, I was a bit annoyed that my spank wheels didnt feel any lighter! As for the dropper it is just as smooth as my reverb and if I can be bothered there is a remote kit for it. I got mine from tweeks. It’s not particularly light as a bike but feels like it will last and rides lighter than it feels. I had my own bars stem and seat and obviously changed the wheels but other than the stock foam grips there isn’t really anything that needs changing to be fair.

blinky
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Ragley Blue Pig and can safely say that it has changed my riding completely. My regular riding is split between trail rides across the moors, and scouting out downhill sections to session. However, I’ve even taken it to Bike Park Wales and kept fairly close on the tail of friends on full sus trail and enduro bikes. It’s the most confidence inspiring trail bike I’ve ridden and is a great all rounder.

If the new Ragley Blue Pig or Piglet models are anything like the old, they’re certainly worth a look!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had a shot of my mates Jones last week. Last bike I’d take near the lakes…

postierich
    Free Member

Trek Stache 29er plus I tried one on a Wheelbase demo day it was a hoot down Garburn maybe upgrade the front forks!
    Waiting for a bike to break before I buy one.
    If you want to really enjoy the Lakes on a regular basis full suss is the way to go IMHO but I am getting on a bit

Rich

ton

Had a shot of my mates Jones last week. Last bike I’d take near the lakes…

and that is because you are a big soft jock. us veteran yorkshiremen are carved from tougher stuf………. 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 Maybe we should turn this thread into a ” show us your hardtail in action, in the Lakes” thread…

[/url]L1160700 by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr[/img]

Descending Nan Bield on a Cove Handjob, 2010, pic by Slugwash.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Big lolz @ Ton!

Mintyjim

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but there’s 30% off at Stanton at the moment on Mk1 Sherpa and Switchback.
    I’m looking for a new hardtail frame too, for no other reason than I fancy a change and an Reynolds 853 Sherpa at £350 is a great price!

ton

talking bollocks at the top of Nan Bield.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6ECE2P]Nan Bield 12-7-09[/url] by Dee P Jay, on Flickr

on this Lakes suitable beast.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6EGvfU]Nan Bield 12-7-09[/url] by Dee P Jay, on Flickr

tomaso
    Free Member

Whyte 90x depending on budget or a Sender Transmitter

tomaso
    Free Member

Bargain here

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Lakes- which new hardtail frame as only bike?’ is closed to new replies.