Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lakes Weather & Riding Conditions Forecast for the Weekend Please
  • BigJohn

Would anybody dare to give us a forecast for what it’s going to be like this coming weekend?

A bunch of us are leaving the balmy climes of Cannock Chase for our annual pre-Christmas weekend ride. Staying at Hawkshead YHA Friday and Saturday nights and hoping to get in 3 good long rides all around Coniston, Carron Crag, Claife (and lots of other places beginning with C). I might see if they’ve got any Christmas Trees for sale at the Honesty Box counter at Lawson Park.

So is it going to be cold and wonderful or is it going to be full of sneaky patches of snow hiding the ice?

And how about driving conditions? Take a shovel? I’m getting a lift in Simon’s 3-series estate which got us away from Coniston OK the same weekend last year in about 4″ of snow.

And I suppose the Windermere Ferry will be staying tucked up and avoiding the icebergs.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

From MWIS… Planning Outlook: All mountain areas of Britain from Wednesday, 15th December, 2010

A 24 hour burst of exceptionally cold air will extend quickly south ater Wednesday night and into Thursday, bringing freezing levels everywhere to sea level. Snow will fall almost constantly on mountain areas with the sea to the north. Constantly sub-freezing until into next week, with snow showers, and locally 3 to 5 hours of persistent snow affecting different mountain areas within the circulation of a large area of low pressure. Eastern mountains will bear the brunt of the snow.

[edit] this isn’t specifically for the lakes as they don’t do localised forecasts for more than 3 days ahead, but will be updated for a detail forecast by midweek.

anc
    Free Member

Snow and ice is a fairly safe bet looking at the forecast from thursday. Rode from ambleside on sunday and whilst there was some ice about it wasn’t a problem, so I won’t be overly worried about hidden ice. If it does snow thursday its gonna be so cold after the snow won’t melt and therefore will be grippy. If it rains thursday then freezes we’ll all be doooomed…………. :mrgreen:

snakebite
    Free Member

Colthouse, Coin How, Crook, Crag Head, Crier of Claife and of Course, Cweens Head and Cings Arms…

BigJohn

Do I get a ban from mentioning Breasty Haw Cottage?

loddrik
    Free Member

Apparently the west of the country is going to take a battering from snow on thurs and fri. Can’t wait, and about time too.

I was also planning on the Lakes on Sunday but I’ll probably just hit the Clwyds now.

snakebite
    Free Member

According to the plan, we should be sweating over Breasty around 3.30pm Friday….

BigJohn

A bit of flapjack and Calvados will go down well before we attack that little climb.

Although we’ll be waiting around for the guys running tubed to mend their snakebites they got coming down Dentists Chair anyway.

scruff
    Free Member

*ahem* Last 2 years Ive had to put a tube in due to Stans not liking subzero temps, you’ve seen the bung John.

BigJohn

I touched your hole.

snakebite
    Free Member

My tyrez am full of full fat milk. got tubes in the goody box as well….

BigJohn

Shall I mix some Bonty love juice in with my Stans man milk or will it all curdle and give me aids?

Oi snakey – we actually stopped outside that very cottage to mend your eponymous puncture earlier this year.

snakebite
    Free Member

yes, and if you recall, my tubeless were struggling to control its orgasmic ejaculation of stans fluid, care of Moor lane!

BigJohn

How’s it looking right now, any locals?

scruff
    Free Member

Stop being such a big jessy.

anc
    Free Member

Fells are covered again, but it isn’t deep at the moment. Most roads are snow free, but the untreated back roads are very icey, mind how you go and have a great weekend.

boxelder

It looks dark.
    Tha’ll be reet marra, git thissen ovver ‘n stop thee frettin’.
    innit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Weather & Riding Conditions Forecast for the Weekend Please’ is closed to new replies.