Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lakes South to North – High Street or Stake Pass?
  • martinhutch

Having idle thoughts about a bikepacking loop from Skipton, across into the Lakes then up and over towards Keswick, finally on to either Carlisle or Appleby to get the train home.

Which will be the most ‘fulfilling’ experience on a loaded bike – High Street from the Troutbeck side or Stake Pass from Great Langdale? Assuming decent ground conditions.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stakes would be more scrambly but short, high street would be a LOOOOONG push
    Could you go up dubs and across Ill bell?

Stakes is obviously much further west so you’ll have more miles in your legs

martinhutch

Good point on both.

Not sure I fancy some of the descending on the ridge, if I remember it correctly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

I suggest the key decider is weather. If it’s been wet then the High Street downhill will be a nightmare.

I was quite surprised the third time I did it (when it wasn’t frozen) just how much work it is to cycle down.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Also, you’ll have done moorland stuff on the way so more lakesy/mountainy stuff might make it feel more of an adventure, so stakes for me

martinhutch

The third option is to skirt the issue by going Gatesgarth, Askham Fell and Pooley Bridge, then over towards Threlkeld and Back o’Skiddaw. That might be a bit more chilled out.

postierich
    Free Member

Martin that route is on the Jennride winter edition in March seems the most sensible 🙂

martinhutch

There’s a Jennride winter edition?

postierich
    Free Member

Yes details will be out shortly 200kms, riders start from 6pm Friday night will involve 2 nights out. Route will be on the grim side so will appeal to the type 2 type of rider.

Rich

martinhutch

200kms in March? Oof…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lakes South to North – High Street or Stake Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts