Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lakes Route choice
  • dyls

I’m off up to the lakes in a while and am looking at three (ish) natural rides to do, together with Whinlatter and some hiking. Looking at a lakes mtb book book in front of me I’m thinking of the following;

1) Garburn Pass 15km, start at Ings (Monster descent?)
    2) Walna Scar – 21km (again good descent)
    3) High Street North (30km) or Helvellyn (23km)?

Any thoughts, or any better choices?

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

When you coming up? Route choice is entirely dependant on the weather and how long you have to ride really.

I live in Kendal so am happy to show you around depending on timings.

dyls

thanks for you reply and offer. Not confirmed the date yet, depends really on the next dry spell we get. Also just noticed the other thread asking about routes in the lakes as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

All good, you could do Garburn and High St in a one.

Or this Garburn one http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73206095 but there’s loads of options, Lakes it’s just great.

postierich
    Free Member

Smuttie my good lady moves up to Kendal in two weeks time and I will be following soon after but will be up every weekend so offers of local routes/guides would be appreciated!

Rich

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Don’t bother with Whinlatter unless the weather is bad. No need, stay au naturel.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Rich, no bother mate. Feel free to drop me a mail at pkgraham at btopenworld.com and we can get something sorted out.

Trekster

Hows about a welcome to the Lakes postierich stw Lakes ride 💡 ❓ 😆

smuttiesmith…can you do weekday rides?
    Mates and I tend to ride during the week. I work shifts as do some of the others, some are retired(early)and some are currently seeking employment 🙁

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

I can do weekday evenings no problem, daytimes are a struggle as I work in an office but we can maybe sort something out.

Trekster

Cheers. May drop you a mail sometime. Looking to widen our Lakes knowledge. Have been riding in the Lakes quite a bit over the past 20yrs or so and just need to refresh the route choice.

chakaping
    Free Member

I did Garburn Pass as an out-and-back from Staveley via Kentmere, worth doing both ways IMO.

Very enjoyable and the climb back up the less steep side is easy if you do a U-turn at the gate.

Trekster

Yeah done that a few times either from Ambleside or to and back starting @ Stavely 😆
    Nan Bield/Gatesgarth a few times as well 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll drop you a line next time I’m up Trekster in case you’d like to join us.

pascoa341
    Free Member

Hmm… sorry for going off topic, but since I have just moved down to Kendal from Hexham, I’m wondering who rides regularly there and would not mind riding with a newly starting rider (for a year or so) who has no stamina left after being out with a twisted ankle and poor back (may not sound very enticing, but I’m a nice guy, really :-).

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Pascoa – try on here, newbies always welcome:

ridethelakes.co.uk

Trekster

chakaping – Member
    I’ll drop you a line next time I’m up Trekster in case you’d like to join u

Cheers
    Intend getting down as much as possible this year

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Thumbs up for Garburn and Walnar definitely if you’ve not done them before. Helvellyn is a good one for the challenge but obviously a lot of climbing. Descent down Dollywaggon route and Grizedale Tarn is a bit interrupted by the trail drainage ‘improvements’ but still worth it. So much to choose from that is miles more fun than any trail centre IMO.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Route choice’ is closed to new replies.