Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lakes route advice near Skelwith Bridge
  • mjb

Off to the Lakes this weekend with the kids (age 5 and 8) and as the weathers looking better on Sunday i was thinking of taking their bikes for a short ride (i’ll probably just run alongside as its less faff and i can help them on any tricky bits). Anyway i was trying to find a loop of about 5 miles that includes a bit of interest but not too much up but i’m struggling to close off a loop without using a main road or a bit of footpath.

My thought was to go from Elterwater over to Little Langdale, cross the river and pop into Cathedral Cave, maybe head over to Hodge close and then back to the lane that goes to Low Hall Garth, turn right and pick up the bridleway through the woods. That however leaves a mile on the A593 so instead i was wondering about using the footpath just north of the main road through Park Farm? Is that a bit cheeky? Its only 2 young kids and it looks to be a well made path?

joemmo
    Free Member

It’s a fair hike over from Elterwater if you’re thinking of using the track that goes through Sawreys wood and Dale end to Little Langdale so be prepared to carry some bikes.

Obviously I don’t know the capability of your kids but you could go from Skelwith Bridge to Elterwater along the river side then cross the bridge and pick up the track to Chapel Stile, into Great Langdale and either stick to the valley floor and ride towards Stickle Barn / Dungeon Ghyll or go up along the higher track through Baysbrown and Hag wood for a bit more challenge.

martinhutch

You’ve got a tough 5-year-old if he/she is doing that. You will be pushing pretty much all the way up from Elterwater and in a couple of other spots too. Joemmo’s suggestion is pretty sound. There is ice cream to be had in Elterwater and Chapel Stile.

Cathedral Cave/Hodge Close might be better approached from the car park at Tilberthwaite, as a lot of the climbing is taken out of it by the road approach.

I doubt anyone will be telling you off on the FP – after all, you’ll just be walking pushing a couple of bikes at that point. 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Don’t worry about trying to create a loop, out-and-back will be absolutely fine.

I think there’s a wheelchair-accessible track all around Tarn Hows, which should suit your kids.

Esme
    Free Member
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

West Windermere shoreline is another option. West castle’s good for the play area if you’re a national trust member

ampthill

Yep just stay in the langdale valley. There are a couple of options beyond elterwater. Treat stop at the Stickle ghyl barn

tenfoot

For kids that young I’d be tempted to ride along the river footpath from Skelwith Bridge to Elterwater, have some lunch at the Britannia Inn and then ride back. All off road, all very flat and around 4 miles round trip

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lakes route advice near Skelwith Bridge’ is closed to new replies.