Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Lakes route advice for this weekend
  • beamishblue

I’m heading down to Keswick with a few mates this weekend to ride Saturday and Sunday. We rode Nan Bield and Sticks Pass last November and had a great time. We had planned on doing some proper mountain routes again but the forecast suggests there will be snow/ice high up so we may have to do some more low level stuff. I reckon that we may do the Borrowdale Bash on Sunday but I’m looking for suitable suggestions for Saturday. We’d be keen on a decent length of ride with some proper rocky/singletrack descents. We don’t mind hikeabike if its required. What routes would folk recommend?

munrobiker
    Free Member

This is a good low level route, it took a group of 8 of us 3 hours last week.

http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/lake-district-mtb-routes/ullswater/

It can be extended by starting in Pooley Bridge, climbing on the bridleway to roehead at the junction with High Street then taking the bridleway to the north of Barton Fell to Howtown.

jekkyl

There’s always Whinlatter..with the lovely cafe to warm up inbetween loops. There’s always cheeky from the south loop top..to Grisedale Pike.
    If the weather’s really crappy My off the wall suggestion would be a hike…Haystacks from gatesgarth, up the Scarth Gap path and down warnscale would be ace.

beamishblue

Thank folks. I should have said, we aren’t keen on trail centres. The weather actually looks reasonable – dry etc. We just won’t be able to go really high. Hard routes lower down would be great.

chakaping
    Free Member

Four Passes doesn’t go that high really.

Huge amount of rocky tech for the distance, and also a huge amount of bike pushing/carrying.

beamishblue

Thanks, what is the Four Passes route?

jekkyl

Google is your friend dude.
    Back O’ Skiddaw figure of 8 or Lonscale fell from Keswick to Threlkeld for a shorter one.

andyr
    Free Member

I did this route a few years ago, I absolutely loved it. Mostly rocky terrain around Grizedale. I only went down 1 bit of the North Face trail which you can miss out if you want. Depends on how low down freezing gets to as the highest point is 300m overlooking Coniston but it’s mostly in the trees. The descent into Satterthwaite was awesome. Only started in Bowness as I was staying their – start at Grizedale for the facilities and miss out the boat trip over the lake.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1017606541

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like the look of that haystacks plan Jekkyl!

Lower level?

Pooley-askham moor-howtown-

Then follow ullswater bway to glenridding, hardtop and up towards the knott, cut off for satura crags, angle tarn, and down Boredale hause, and follow UWB back to Pooley bridge.

Cracking days biking, and pretty obvious on map/ground

jekkyl

hehe..it’d be walking and Haystacks is low level compared to some routes. 😄

failedengineer

That Grizedale route is ace. Try it, you’ll love it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ullswater bridleway is brilliant

chakaping
    Free Member

A few lower-level options from Glenridding, could do the Ullswater loop, Boredale Hause and pop up to Grisedale Tarn and back to finish with one of the best descents in the UK.

Or maybe two out of those three.

fathomer

Grizedale’s a great shout, there’s boat loads of fantastic riding and that’s before you add in the off piste stuff (which I’ve never done).

martinhutch

Grizedale’s a great shout,

The other advantage is being relatively easy to bail back to the car early, or add in another couple of extra descents if you’re keen.

That route up there is a decent intro. The North Face Trail is much-maligned, but the first climb away from the Visitor Centre is decent.

beamishblue

Subscriber
    A few lower-level options from Glenridding, could do the Ullswater loop, Boredale Hause and pop up to Grisedale Tarn and back to finish with one of the best descents in the UK.

Or maybe two out of those three.

How do you add Grisedale Tarn to this loop?

chakaping
    Free Member

How do you add Grisedale Tarn to this loop?

Head up the bridleway to it from Patterdale, then turn round and come back.

duncancallum

I’m doing borrowdale Saturday

TomB

Forecast is dry without significant frost at valley level until the weekend. We currently have a bit of white on the high fells but I wouldn’t rule out getting a decent ride up high this weekend.

lapierrelady

I reckon the ‘snowline’ such as it is is about 700m right now – passes should be fine.

beamishblue

Aye, but freezing level is dropping to 400m on Saturday. It could be pretty icy?

beamishblue

I like the look of that haystacks plan Jekkyl!

Lower level?

Pooley-askham moor-howtown-

Then follow ullswater bway to glenridding, hardtop and up towards the knott, cut off for satura crags, angle tarn, and down Boredale hause, and follow UWB back to Pooley bridge.

Cracking days biking, and pretty obvious on map/ground

That sounds great! How long would you expect that to take?

rsl1
    Free Member

There’s a Facebook group called “ground conditions in UK mountain areas” where you should be able to find snow level in advance – pretty much daily updates from all the mountain leaders working in the snow.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That sounds great! How long would you expect that to take?

Can’t remember tbh, I don’t rush my Lakes days, mibbe 6 hours, not including food stops?.

https://www.strava.com/activities/90533543#3851275017

That’s the main part of it without Boredale/Angle tarn etc, I’d add on a couple of hours for that.

tomaso
    Free Member

Heading from Seathwaite or Rossthwaite over Stakes Pass to Old Dungeon Ghyll for refreshment and then back over Rosset Ghyll and down Sty Head Pass is a lovely route that is not so bad when it’s a bit frozen,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Lakes route advice for this weekend’ is closed to new replies.