Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lakes – Grasmoor ridge to Ladhows
  • fergal
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago while riding Whiteless edge again, my eye was drawn to this stunning looking ridgeline with a sinuous serpentine like trail down the crest, it looks pretty steep and sustained, i thought probably to steep at the top to be fun, a little bit of googling later and i find a video, some of the Sweary northerners it seems, it looks a bit sketchy at the top but what a line, really want to do this now, any afficianado’s of this style given it ago?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yep, had similar thoughts when on Whiteless, so gave it a go earlier this Summer.
    As you say, top section is a bit too lose/unstable to enjoy at that angle of descent. It’s doable but I didn’t fancy my chances on the initial steep section whilst out riding solo, so I chickened out. After the first few feet though, it gets more manageable.
    I still found it steep and lose enough for the first half to warrant pulling over and waiting for a big bunch of hikers coming up. Wouldn’t have risked squeezing past them as you’ve little control over the direction once moving and just need to go with the lose surface for the most part.
    Lower down is a different character, more narrow lines through the heather type stuff but still very good.

Woodentop
    Free Member

Rode it a few year ago on the hardtail. As said, the top section is a bit to sketchy really but after that the rest of it is spot on. Definitely worth a go.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Same as Whiteless pretty much, but without the mid- plateau, so you reach the grass line much quicker. All ridable – drops you out at the bottom of Rannerdale, which is a tourist hotspot best avoided during the day.

fergal
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply’s, thinking of heading over next week weather permitting, will be flying solo, so if you fancy a blast midweek give me a shout.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Found it on the map

Is it worth doing instead of Whiteless?

Better, different?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Actually is it this….

Just Googled it and it looks familiar

I remember seeing it from the top of Whiteless and thinking hell yes!

lowey

Yeah thats the one. On my to do list although suspect It would be a walk down for me.

Went up 3 weeks ago with the intention of doing it, but took a lakes virgin with me so decided Whitless would probably be a better introduction.

I’ll have a pop at it soon.

in Profile…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JuNovJ]20180428_124036[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

fergal
    Free Member

Here is the vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gthle2Mv-k great soundtrack to.

mrchrist

Great video. Love the excitement on the faces at the end.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lakes – Grasmoor ridge to Ladhows’ is closed to new replies.