Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lakes campsites with walking from site
  • mildbore

So the weather looks good for next week, time to deliver on a promise to do some hillwalking in the Lakes with my wife.
    What we’re looking for is a preferably basic campsite with hillwalking from site. We want to try somewhere new. We have explored around Coniston, Ullswater and a bit around Keswick. Where would you recommend we try for 2-3 days of walks around 10-15k that take us onto the tops?

binners

Stonethwaite Farm Campsite, south of Keswick

Ticks all your boxes. Its an absolutely stunning location and you can walk in any direction straight from there into the fells. Very basic facilities, but thats all you need

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

wasdale Head or Langdales NT would be the obvious ones. Both are closely surrounded by peaks, so a short walk from the campsite in a number of directions will take you straight up different mountains

martinhutch

Syke Farm at Buttermere. At least three or four classic rounds from the campsite.

BenjiM

Fisherground in Eskdale. Railway stop there too.

rascal
    Free Member

https://chapelhousefarmcampsite.co.uk in Borrowdale.

This is basic but very cheap but good field – £7 I think – had a couple of nights there June last year.
    Great pub nearby that does great food – Langstrath Country Inn.
    I went straight up Glaramrama to Esk Hause then back via Langstrath via the pub, but the world’s your oyster round that way.

Nice site in Buttermere too – https://www.sykefarmcampsite.com

The High Stile Ridge is the obvious walk from there and a good one it is too. Plus there’s Grasmoor and that area to explore. 2 pubs within a minute walk…what more do you need? 😉

slowoldman

Brothers Water.

MrSparkle
    Tom-B
    Free Member

As above

Langdale NT
    Wasdale Head
    Brothers Water…..all are brilliant sites, with amazing walks from the site and all are by a pub too! Wasdale and Brother water are literally in the grounds of pubs!

Brothers Water probably gives you better options to get away from the crowds

hardtailonly

Stonethwaite Farm Campsite, south of Keswick

Ticks all your boxes. Its an absolutely stunning location and you can walk in any direction straight from there into the fells. Very basic facilities, but thats all you need

^^^ this.

Been there a few times (for biking though, not walking). Stunning location, good pub 10 mins walk away. No showers but the river running beside the campsite is fine to rinse off in, or there are some waterfalls/plunge pools 10 mins walk up the river.

damascus
    Free Member

Brothers water is a great site.

I also like St john in the Vale and walk up skiddow or blencathra

Home

You can also walk into Keswick via the stone circles which is around 3 or 4 miles from memory. Saves on parking! We usually walk to weatherspoons for tea and back.

I’ve just come back from a week staying at thirlmere walking over some hills I’ve never done before linking some of my favourite walks like pavey arc and langdales. Fantastic place.

sparksmcguff

Castlerigg Hall or the other one up behind Keswick. You can walk as far as you like going south (starting up Walls Crag) returning via Derwentwater and the pubs in Keswick.

Brotherswater – for variety.

NT Langdales for the Langdales.

mildbore

Thanks for the suggestions all, some v appealing sites. We’ll probably go with Binners’ suggestion and keep the others for future fun

binners

If it’s warm enough, have a stroll up the valley and jump off the rocks into the plunge pools.

Spent many a happy summer afternoon having a couple of beers doing that. You’ll get (very) low level flypasts from the odd Hercules as well

The location is absolutely amazing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lakes campsites with walking from site’ is closed to new replies.