Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Lakes Advise Please – Routes up Wansfell Pike from the North ?
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Plotting a new route taking in the descents off Wansfell over Troutbeck and I’ll be coming from the Kirkstone Pass round Broad End.

Options are:

1. Head all the way down the pass like a roadie to Troutbeck and head up the traditional Robins Lane and Hundreds Road.
    2. Go up the FP via Nanny Lane in Troutbeck (heard the farmer is a bit volatile).
    3. (and this is the one I’m really interested in) from just past Broad End go up the black dashed line alongside the wall up Woundale Raise and Idle Hill (is it ridable and is it too cheeky).

Also, if I do end up coming down the pass is the BW through Hird Wood and alongside the quarries worth doing as it runs parallel to the pass before Troutbeck ?

Cheers

elliptic
    Free Member

(3) is a boggy trudge and not rideable in any useful way.

thekettle
    Free Member

1)If you’ve got the energy, instead I’d hike from Kirkstone Inn up onto Red Screes and bomb down the South ridge, then climb Wansfell from Ambleside (all cheeky), descending to Nanny Lane.
    2)Is better in descent. Volatile farmer is on the Ambleside edge of Wansfell (unless there’s another).
    3)boggy grass
    and
    No, the BW past Hird Wood isn’t worth it.
    Happy exploring!

excitable1
    Free Member

Cheers… rules out option 3 for sure !

thekettle… I was looking at Red Screes but I wanted to do Wansfell twice, once down NW side (down devil’s Staircase as it’s been called on Strava) to Ambleside, then round and back up to come down the SW side and onto Jenkin Cragg. Didn’t fancy another hike up after the Yoke Ill Bell and Stony Cove either.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Advise Please – Routes up Wansfell Pike from the North ?’ is closed to new replies.