Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lakes 4 passes route, which way round?
  • Premier Icon mos

Probably having a shuffle up there next week and was just wondering which way round is better? Up honister first or sty head?

Premier Icon martinhutch

As in anticlockwise or clockwise? – definitely anticlockwise. You’ll be climbing the best descents otherwise. So up Honister then down Warnscale.

Premier Icon fathomer

I’ve done it anti clock wise, up Honister then down Warnscale etc. as @martinhutch
    says. Wouldn’t even consider doing it the other way round!

Premier Icon mos

Thanks guys. Glad i asked.

Premier Icon craig5

Start at Wasdale Head would be my suggestion. You can finish at the pub after coming down black sail pass. The best decent of the route, and probably one of the best in the lakes.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Free Member

Honistor is the only climb thats rideable and Warnscale is the hardest descent so it can be a doubly drutal warmup. Starting at Wasdale Head makes a lot of sense, except for the drive around there…
    Enjoy!(anti-clockwise)

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The best decent of the route, and probably one of the best in the lakes.

No even the best descent on the 4P, never mind the whole lakes! Styhead is numero uno on that route, park in Borrowdale. Agree that it means Wharnscale is a tough first descent!.

Premier Icon TomB

Start at honister, and get the youngest fittest keenest in the group to go and fetch the car while you have a pint at the scafell hotel! Also another vote for anti-clockwise.

Premier Icon Simon

I’ve done the 4 Passes twice, first time with Warnscale as the last descent and the second with it as the first descent.
    It isn’t the best descent on the ride but definitely the hardest and I preferred it at the end of the ride tbh.

Can’t see why anyone would want to do the route clockwise.

Premier Icon craig5

I didnt enjoy Styhead as much on the 4 passes, as I did the first time I rode it. But agree that Warnscale was a tough one. A bit above my pay grade

Premier Icon chakaping

Warnscale is a clear winner for me. Just the right level of tech & steep to be challenging but do-able.

Need to go back soon, as I’ve been told there’s a rideable line at the awkward raised rocky bit.

Premier Icon RicB

I rode Warnscale recently and agree it’s very tough- well beyond anything I could relax and ride cleanly. A difficult combination of high consequence (drop to the left) but needing speed to bounce through some of the rocky sections meant I pushed a fair bit of the upper trail.

Pushing up to ride down Honister would be sacrilege though!

Premier Icon welshfarmer

Oh, now we are in Borrowdale in about 10 days time so would be keen on this perhaps. I had planned to do the Stakes pass over to Langdale and back via Angle Tarn and Sty head. Is the 4 passes a better day out? And if so could someone simply give the names of the 4 passes in the anticlockwise direction as I guess I can work out the route easily enough.

Cheers

EDIT: Just looked on map and it looks pretty straightforward TBF. Anything one should be aware off, or any “normal” cheeky deviations from the bridleway route?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.