Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lake Garda help
  • Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

We have to use the Tunnel tickets by the last week in June and first week in July and are planning our Alps trip round that.

Last year we passed the southern end of Lake Garda on our way from Canazei to Les Orres and considered stopping off but didn’t.

We are thinking of tagging it in to the first part of the trip and looking at the maps it looks like the best riding is at the northern end?

As its an area we haven’t been to but has been on the list of to dos for a long time we are looking for recommendations of preferably a lake side campsite for the motorhome and any good guiding in the area.

Ideally would like to spend the best part of the first week as it will need to fit in with the rest of the trip, Verbier, Aeosta, La Thule and Tignes before we come back via Bourg.

It was about 5 years ago but we stayed at ‘Camping al Porto’ in Torbole right on the northern edge of the lake. Easy riding distance from well known local trails.

We went there straight from the Val di Sole world cup and so did a bunch of racers in their trick motorhomes so plenty of room for them.

Stunning place actually. Must get back there.

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

Have a chat with Michael: https://www.facebook.com/michaelcycle1

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

We stayed in a nice lake side campsite in Limone a few years ago. There are some trails above there but the hillside is steep! It’s not too far round from Riva del Garda (5km?) on the crazy road with tunnels that follows the lake shore.

kiksy

Garda is stunning and there is some really good riding there.

There is a gondola in Malcesine which takes you up to Monte Baldo but it only allows bikes up early in the day which is annoying. However there are a few companies offering uplifts in the area. Or you can pedal up obviously.

Torbole seems to have the most mountain bikers in it, and has a bike park which also has it’s own uplift.

There are guides available but I’ve just freestyled routes from gpx files and Strava.

Premier Icon alibongo001
    Subscriber

A good place to stay might be Malcesine about halfway up on the right-hand side (opposite Limone mentioned above).

There is a cable car that you can get up the 6000ft to Mt Baldo and then ride from there.

The 601 is an excellent waymarked trail which goes to Riva in the north (probably the most MTB place on the lake), but you can peel off and get back to Malcesine easily.

There are lots to see and do around the lake and many nice towns accessible by water and road.

If you hire a bike (available in Riva and Malcesine plus others) don’t forget that the brakes are the other way around (like I did!)

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

I’ve stayed in Riva and it’s awesome! The riding from there and Torbole is great and easy to access.

gardabikeshop.com/en is the shop I used to do a half day guided tour but they’ve got loads of options including shuttles. It’s dead easy to find other options too.

HIJACK! – whilst we’re on the topic, has anyone done much riding from Pescheria? Staying there this year and wouldn’t mind a day out on the bike. Any recommendations for hire and routes starting from there? I’m not overly keen on the idea of travelling up the lake to ride although I appreciate that would probably be the best plan.

the00

Bookmarked.

disco_stu

How are they getting on with the bike path all around Lake Garda?

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Thanks everyone, Camping at Porto site looks good and prices seem reasonable. Will have a good look at Gardaonbike over the weekend and then start sending the emails.

Once again STW has delivered.

alpin

A few years back I used to be at the lake each weekend in the summer with work (guiding). Either Torbole or Riva.

The last few winters I’ve had a long weekend at the southern end to get away from the snow in Bavaria. Generally snow free up to about 1400m,which still gives you over 1200m of snow free vertical to play with. Also there are zero tourists about, just locals.

The two ends are a bit different. More tech up north around Riva, Torbole and Limone.
    More flow in the south. The towns of Garda and Gardone.

Plenty of campsites, but enough off the beaten track places to park your van if you look about.

Trailforks is pretty good. Don’t necessarily need a guide.

This was last Feb….

superfli

HIJACK! – whilst we’re on the topic, has anyone done much riding from Pescheria?

Stayed near there last summer. I escaped for a couple of early morning rides, but had use of our car. I used trailforks to find some trails and previous rides that people had logged to do their routes.
    Search for Costermano Sul Garda, to do the Lumini trail, and the other route I did was around and including the enduro PS4 trail. Both near Garda, about 20 min drive North.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/LTtHTsum72

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Ojb6Osrm72

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

You’ve got a motorhome I think? West side of the lake is not great in that case as you won’t get parked and the tunnels are lethal if you meet another similar vehicle coming the other direction. Lakeside campsites can also be a problem getting in and out of; tiny mountain roads too. Somewhere like Camping Brione outside of Torbole works well with a motorhome.
    I would recommend trails like Naranch, 601 but join Coast Trail as 601 middle is washed out to ****, 409 at Arco gets a good crit. Tremalzo uplift then pick up the good trails above Pregasena finishing below the village on Gnarly Ponale (not on Trailforks so worth getting a guide or asking about.

alpin

Ah…. Have a look at the bike park at Lago di Molveno, Paganella. Very varied trails spread over a wide area.

Great park…

alpin

Peschiera is flat! As said previously, head north to Lumini trail area. (the trails in my vid from last year are from there.)

Sirmione is a great place to stroll around and watch the sunset.

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Well a quick Google suggested I could get a bus to Garda town and rent a bike from there for a day. Sound plausible?

alpin

If there’s a shop renting, then yes… 😁

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

Alpin, the south side of the Brenta is fantastic for walking with nothing like the amount of folk you get in the Eastern Dolomites.Nearby Paganella sounds interesting as I’ve got a pal living nearby. One of his mates got mauled by a bear in the area (well, above Cadine, Trento) so that should encourage one to ride a bit more swiftly!

superfli

Paganella and molveno are well worth the visit! Wish I could have spent more time there.

alpin

Yup, Brenta Dolomiti are a bit of a gem…. A lot quieter than the other Dolomites; Sella Ronda, Drei Sinnen, etc….

Different shades of light of an evening, too….

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.