Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lake district tyre recommendations please
  • el_bandido
    Free Member

I ride mostly in the Dark Peak area with occasional missions to Calderdale. I usually use Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2 tyres as I find they work well on rocky gritstone terrain and only really come unstuck in really sticky mud.

I’ve only ridden with them in the lakes once and to be honest I found them a bit of a nightmare. The front wheel washed out constantly on gravel and they seemed generally useless on wet slate. I’m off to Grizedale next weekend and am concerned of a repeat performance so was thinking of trying something new.

Obviously I don’t want to buy a pair of tyres for one weekend, so I suppose I’m looking for a general multi-season lake district tyre. 2.1 – 2.25 wide, reasonably fast rolling and not unmanageable in mud.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated

grumm
    Free Member

I only really ride in the lakes, I use High Rollers 2.35s, sticky on the front. They are not fast rolling at all, but they are mega grippy, wet or dry.

Fagus
    Free Member

Advantages are what I use all the time up there. 2.1 should be big enough.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage, which are great on anything bar deep sticky mud (based in the north lakes).

el_bandido
    Free Member

Thanks, looks like Maxxis are the way forward 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

Nevegals get my vote.
    Always used Panaracer Trailrakers for everything because they dig in so well but judged against the Nevegals in Lakeland conditions I now find they fall a bit short. The Trailrakers scared me last time I used them up there, which is enlightening because I’ve taken them everywhere for some several years and trusted them totaly. I guess you get used to the kit you are using and compensate for its deficiencies without consciously thinking you are doing so.
    Much like life!

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

As grumm says,High rollers are exellent and a favourite at the KMB Tuesday evening rides,bit slow on the roads but off road they are awesome!

I also rate the (2.2) Kenda Nevegals,faster rolling and also good in the mud/rocks etc. 😉

I know Andy at Biketreks rates nevegals as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lake district tyre recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.