Lake District for Xmas? travelling advice please

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lake District for Xmas? travelling advice please
  • big yim

Hi I have got a b and b and xmas dinner booked for the lake district, windemere. But I have got to travel from the west midlands to get there. Any one know what the driving conditions are like up there and the m6. supposed to be going on xmas eve and coming back on boxing day but we are having doubts now

colin27

It’s fine up here in the Lakes, I’ve a friend who travelled from Lancaster yesterday and he got on fine, and today seems to be better anyway. We’ve really had very little snow in comparison to elsewhere.

big yim

really? I thought they had it worse up north?
    We had a good six inches yesterday ooooh errrr

We had about 5″ yesterday, it’s melted a wee bit but not much as the temperatures are low. Not sure what it’s like in Windermere at the moment (I am a little south and west of there, but not that far).

The roads seem to be pretty clear, although I have just had a mountain rescue Landrover and an ambulance head past the house with the blues and twos on, so it could be a little dicey!

I believe we are not due any more snow now for a while, just low temperatures, so I would expect you would be okay! The road up to Windermere from the M6 is one of the better ones in the region anyway and gets well treated.

I should be up that way in the next couple of days – got a problem at a large “holiday park” up that way which is no doubt going to be needing attention before Christmas… it’s enough to make me hope for a good blizzard I can tell you!

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

Snow in the Lakes was on the west coast. Roads clear in Keswick

Premier Icon TomB
    Subscriber

Driving for work this weekend. No problems A591 Keswick to M6 @ J36 or on M6 j36-32. Icy side streets in keswick, all main routes completely clear. Christmas eve is a while off but cold, not snow forecast until then. We’re driving the opposite way, Keswick-Portsmouth, tomorrow, hopefully……

mrsflash

There’s a fair bit of snow in Windermere according to MIL, but all roads clear. Side streets taken with care though.

snakebite

We’ve just had 3 days based in Hawkshead, loads of snowy riding, a few spills etc, but great fun! Left Hawkshead last night around 4 ish, back in Staffordshire in just over 2 hours, roads were fine.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Drove back from Hawkshead yesterday with not a single wheelspin. Roads were fine.

The 3 days riding around Coniston and Grizedale were fab. There were a couple of descents we gave a miss (like Parkamoor) because the ice would have been disguised by snow.

When we came up from Hawkshead to Lawson Park yesterday the only tyre tracks we saw were the ones we left on Saturday morning.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

You were there too were you Snakey?

Thanks for all your work organising it. Great weekend as ever, although I would have liked to have seen a few more toy/pram moments.

snakebite

Yes, I was a little surprised at the lack of toy throwing tantrums bearing in mind the miles covered…though the mellowing effect of hip flasks and beer may have contributed….

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Ahhh the icy step at the top of Walna Scarr Rd. Did you manage to ride up there without dabbing, like me?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lake District for Xmas? travelling advice please’ is closed to new replies.