Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lairig Ghru – N to S or S to N?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Taking my boys for a wander through there this weekend and just wondering what’s the best direction.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Walking or biking?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Could do either I suppose.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bike wise it’d be from north to south, but turn around just before the top and head back down. A really nice ride- exciting but good for most abilities. Highly recommended.

Walking- most people seemed to be going south to north when I did it.

13thfloormonk

I think I’d prefer the south approach, you could ride up Glen Derry to Derry Lodge, and it’s a great wee hike from there to the foot of Cairn A’Mhaim at least, I haven’t done the section between there and Corrour though, but I imagine the scenery would open up pretty spectacularly as you round the corner into the Lairig proper.

Keep your eyes open for somebody making really heavy going out of a relatively light small, I might be passing through en route from Blair Atholl. Would be coming through Glen Geusachan towards Corrour on Sunday if I don’t decide to descend the other way to Ruigh Aiteachain.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

At Glenmore last week I saw a warning about a bridge being borked. It seemed important, but wasn’t relevant to me. It could be worth checking.

irc

Possibly the Derry Burn bridge. Swept away not long ago. Just replaced though it seems.

New bridge imminent at Derry Burn

As for directions. I’ve walked it both ways. I think S-N is better. Saves the narrowest part of the pass for later in the walk and the walk through Rothiemurchus pines for the end.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Possibly the Derry Burn bridge. Swept away not long ago. Just replaced though it seems.

MBA facebook page says they replaced it last week

Agree on S-N, descent into ancient woodland is excellent plus on the hottest days, the sun is at your back not in your face.

scotroutes

It’s not a cycle in the middle few km, it’s a walk with a bike. You’ll be helping the boys over the rocks with the bikes and will take you an age.

I’d often heard folk say it wasn’t worth taking a bike through the LG and having now done so, I concur.

South to North is the way to go though.

scotroutes

SoG, where was the sign? They should all have been removed by then.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Scot – Between the CC footbridge and L Morlich, ISTR in a plantation so probably FC land.

On the left. Friday, I think.

scotroutes

I’ll hae a nose round at the weekend

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Before the track that goes up to The Lodge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lairig Ghru – N to S or S to N?’ is closed to new replies.