• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by devs.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Laggan Wolftrax
  • crispo
    Free Member

Two questions, how good is it and how hard is it?

I am up visiting a pal in Edinburgh this weekend. Plan is to ride Glentress on Saturday and then he has suggested Laggan on Sunday. Firstly is it worth 2 1/2 hour journey from his house? Secondly how technically challenging is it? Whilst he is keen he did struggle with the black at glentress last time we did it and I’ve heard Laggan is meant to be fairly technical!

Thanks

geoffj

The black is quite technical, but both parts of the red and the bike park are good fun and short enough to do a couple of loops.

crispo
    Free Member

Ok nice one, worth the journey compared to going to Innerleithen then?

chvck
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the black and bike park. I’d say that the black is quite a step up from the black at Glentress though (and most other trail centres really). The red isn’t nearly as technical. When we went last year we did 2 loops of the black, 1 of the red and a couple of the bike park. Was knackered by the end but it’s all fun so wanted to keep riding more!

fasthaggis

I would say go to Inners if you are only going all that way to ride the red a couple of times.

crazy-legs

Ok nice one, worth the journey compared to going to Innerleithen then?

I wouldn’t do it as a special trip no. If I happened to be in the area then yes, I’d definitely visit.

Last time I was there I did 2 laps of the black, one of the red then another lap of linking up bits and pieces between them. It’s hard work – you know you’ve been out for a ride after that lot although it’s not massive miles.

Also, I crashed on one of the bits – was too busy trying to read the signpost warning of imminent death, technical features, massive descents etc placed by the side of the trail than actually looking at the trail.

#fail.

shifter
    Free Member

Hell of a long way when you could have as much fun at GT and Inners.

Northwind

It is really good, I love the black and the reds are good fun but, what they said- fair old trek up. If you or your mate knows their way around innerleithen that’d probably make more sense.

Having said that it gets you into a different part of the country, there’s more to scotland than riding if you’re into that.

devs
    Free Member

Go. I walked some of the features on teh black the 1st time I went but the benchmark was set and I knew how good I had to get. Cleaned it completely teh 3rd go I think. The reds and the bikepark are great fun too.

crispo
    Free Member

Problem with this weekend in time constraints! Can’t get away until 6ish on Friday so heading up to his in Edinburgh to stay from Preston.

Seems like a better plan would be to make a full weekend of it another time and stay up near Aviemore and ride Laggan one day then something natural the other.

It’s the 2 1/2 hour drive back to Edinburgh then the further train journey back that’s putting me off to be honest!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’d agree. Black is indeed a double black, a level up from the black glentress and the reds are cool but not dark red. Go to inners and save yourself the bother of a long drive.

moonboy
    Free Member

As part of a week in the highlands, very much yes go amazing! On a biking weekend with all that travel? Nah GT, inners, pints in Edinburgh…

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve had a look at the start of the black but wimped out, I reckon with someone else there in case i’d have a go, but probably walk some. Don’t know if id drive that far tho.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s worth a visit for sure, the black is a pretty epic piece of trail centre goodness. Lots of rock features that require a fair bit of commitment to ride cleanly. The reds are good fun too. Because it’s all quite short it’s very easy to do lots of little loops making the most of the fact that the climb up isnt too long. House of Bruar on the way back down the A9, sorted 😛

To be honest though, If I were you I’d just ride at Inners and save myself the 5 hours of driving. Inners is great and has a whole bunch of trails from the excellent XC loop to some mint Enduro and DH stuff.

fasthaggis

House of Bruar on the way back down the A9, sorted

For the love of a supreme being, NO

House of Spewer

😯

richmtb

Laggan is really nice but I wouldn’t make a special trip to go there. Its a long drive for anywhere.

If I was up for seeing that part of Scotland as part of a longer trip then yes I’d definitely try and include Laggan

I was actually there last week.

We were travelling to Inverness so stopping at Laggan for a loop of the red on the way up was a good way to stretch the legs

kcal

House of Bruar, to be fair, is a hell of a motorway service station (with the motorway or indeed fuel) if only for the toilets. You don’t /have/ to buy anything. Worth a wander to while away an hour..

Coffee and cake at Ralia, comfort break at Bruar FTW.

Northwind

PS, for future plans Laggan is miles from everywhere apart from Fort William- if you’re ever driving up from Edinburgh it’s right on one of the two driving options. It’s also fairly straightforward to put it into a drive up further north- Golspie, Balblair etc, and all the natural riding you could want. A nice break from driving 😉

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Laggan provides good climb/descent value (I’ve only done the red) but is a bit distant, as stated above. I’d leave it to next year and combine with a trip to the soon to be opened Glenlivet trail over a couple of days.

scotroutes

Love Laggan, but save the driving time and do something nearer Edinburgh/Peebles.

devs
    Free Member

Yeah sack off Laggan………go to Golspie instead :)Have your bank manager on speed dial if you stop at Bruar or Ralia; ridiculous prices.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Laggan Wolftrax’ is closed to new replies.