Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Laggan- how long to ride.
  • akira

Going up in a couple of weeks with the wife but it’s a big detour on the way somewhere else.
    So just looking for a rough idea how long the red, black and blue take.
    Me- not too fit but reasonably good on a bike,
    The wife- not ridden a huge amount since babies but previously has done Alps/GT/etc so rusty but okay.
    Was thinking she could do the blue as a warm up while I did the black and then we could both do the red……..

popstar
    Free Member

Blue trail is separate and could be ridden under 30min, good fun even for Rad dudes. Then Red trail with an addtion of black to it must be ridden as a whole affair, so that’s 2+ hours. Laggan doesn’t have too many techy climbs but especialy Black trail is an absolute must in my books. There is an Orange trail (very fast long berms with fast table tops) which could be served as a desert after Red – Black, the only price for that is a short-ish climb up fireroad. They do uplifts but that’s an affair for bigger groups and must be booked, anyway it’s a proper quality riding down there. Some say Laggan Wolftrax Black trail is UK -official trail center- most techy diddle doo!
    Go carefull on them rock gardens.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The routes are all pretty short – you could ride all of them in two or three hours.

Basically there are two “zones” split by the access fire-road. To the north you have the lower red and the orange free-ride trails. To the south are the upper red and black routes.

Upper red and black share a common start but split near the top (brilliant viewpoint). They converge again near the bottom, so to ride both you’d need to climb the access road twice.

Lower red is a lovely route in its own right and joins the lower half of the orange route to take you back to the start.

My usual day at Laggan is upper red, black then a lap or two of lower red/orange.

Black is pretty technical (depending on what you’re used to)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    akira

Ah hadn’t looked at a map, really do want to try the Black but not sure about just abandoning the wife to saunter around bits of the red as it’s a rare thing for us to ride together these days.
    EDIT- ah just read your comment, sounds like it might be a plan then, excellent.

bigjim

I rode it recently with someone who hadn’t ridden a bike for years and they found some of the rockier sections on the red challenging. That bloody rock drop gives me the fear too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

each bit does not take long to ride from what I remeber. ride lower red and orange together, back to base for coffee, ride the black . upper red parting nad joining again – you will not be apart for long at all – ride back up a bit and do lower red/ orange again

Each bit only takes half an hour or so IIRC

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/wolftrax

akira

Cheers for all the advice, looks like it will be perfect for a nice ride with the wife and a chance to get my gnarly shoes on……and the mince down the black!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You could easily have a ride together and then buy her coffee and cake whilst you go out and do the black. It doesn’t take long if you don’t start sessioning bits.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Laggan- how long to ride.’ is closed to new replies.