Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Lael Wilcox going for Jenny Grahams RTW record
    stevious

Choosing a route is absolutely part of the challenge of the record IMO. If the backtracks in Lael’s route satisfies the GWR folk then it’s fine with me. If it turns out it’s an easier route than previous records then that’s fair play.

I’d be really interested to hear what Jenny Graham thinks of tihs attempt. It’s got a lot of differences to her approach but also a lot of similarities. I strongly suspect she’d be nothing but suportive.

slowoldman

hence legs over the Alps and through Switzerland

Including the Stelvio.

slowoldman

Interestingly ‘fastest’ and ‘flattest’ didn’t seem to be the only priority

Lael has finished the first leg from Chicago to New York. Her first 6 days are on Strava and “flattest” certainly looks like a low priority.

qtip

I’d be really interested to hear what Jenny Graham thinks of tihs attempt. It’s got a lot of differences to her approach but also a lot of similarities. I strongly suspect she’d be nothing but suportive.

Very much this.  In her book Jenny explains her self imposed rules that would have made it harder for herself.  She did the record the way that she wanted to do it, but that doesn’t mean everyone has to do it that way.  I don’t think this takes anything away from Jenny’s record or anyone else’s attempt. Is Marc Beaumant’s record less valid because he had a support crew and large budget?  I find the idea of “the spirit of things” for a world record a bit ridiculous.  Either it’s within the rules or it’s not.  If you really care about the record then you will do everything in your power to take the quickest, easiest route to give you the best chance of success and not be beaten by someone else who pushes every rule to its limit.

robertajobb

It would definitely be more impressive if she did a leg that went though Derbyshire, as the shit stae of the roads and th number of wankas in Audis would most definitely slow her down.

vlad_the_invader

Long podcast interview with Lael discussing just about everything mentioned up thread, for those interested, apart from **** drive Audis in Derbyshire

Escape Collective: Ultra: Lael Wilcox’s race against time for the Around The World record

Episode webpage: https://share.transistor.fm/s/b5131012

Media file: https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/media.transistor.fm/b5131012/f7622c09.mp3

slowoldman

Anyone got any idea what’s happening with Vedangi? Her tracker has been stationary just outside Kolkata for several days now.

ampthill

I think she got heat stroke in India and is jumping to Mongolia

https://www.instagram.com/thisisvedangi?igsh=MWV6Z2kwZ3g0d2UwbA==

Do you have a link to the tracker!

slowoldman

Ah thanks for that. I see she is now in Mongolia and setting off on Wednesday. I wonder if this will be a restart.

Here’s the tracker:

Vedangi Round the World

retrorick

Sorted, I’ll aim to watch both attempts. I’ll open another tab for Vedangi.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.