Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ladybower Reservoir
  • cinnamon_girl

According to the BBC it’s become a tourist attraction and is being vandalised, is this true?  Has anyone been there recently?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46316985

MartynS

We were up there last Sunday. We’d come over from hope and were heading up to Winstone lee tor. The driveway on the other side looked utterly horrendous. There were hundreds and hundreds of people, loads had gone down on to the mud to get near the old village.

Mountain rescue have been pulling people out of the mud.. did I mention it looked horrendous..!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Scum. Sub-human scum.

MarkE25

Cycled round the lower reservoir last weekend and the water is really low. Loads of people out on the bed of the reservoir looking at the ruins.

cinnamon_girl

Wow, unbelievable.

slowoldman

It’s one thing looking, another thing defacing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Scum. Sub-human scum.

Hang on a minute, a sense of perspective.

Its a load of rocks, of no particular historical significance, you would struggle to call most of it ‘ruins’ even as it was mostly demolished before being flooded.

It’s hardly like they’ve been defacing war graves or religious buildings, or even something that was deemed worth keeping!

And bear in mind the hillside overlooking it is full of cheeky mountainbike trails……..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Scum utter scum, seems a tad harsh when directed towards people who are intrigued by something that they won’t probably have chance to see again. And the level of “vandalism” is a bit of carving on some of the sandstone apparently, hardly crime of the century for something that’s under water 99 percent of the time. Rather peiple out visiting places like that than sitting in front of the telly!

cinnamon_girl

My perspective is that it’s disrespectful to remove stones etc to throw in the mud, take home etc.  That reservoir represents heritage where a village whose inhabitants presumably had to move to enable the reservoir to be flooded.  The fact that it isn’t underwater and with global warming it’s likely to happen again which is a good enough reason for people to look from a distance and learn of the history.

Disclaimer: I’ve never been there but felt saddened by the news report.

parkesie
    Free Member

Stop vandalising the ruins of the village we demolished and flooded.

oldtennisshoes

tinas +1

Crazy, folk can get upset about something which has been flooded deliberately – it’s not bloody Atlantis!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Hang on a minute, a sense of perspective.

Perhaps because it doesn’t quite fit in with your blinkered view of the world?

tuboflard

Scum. Sub-human scum.

I think it was meant as a light-hearted Alan Partridge quote. Though I might be wrong and it was meant to be serious.

yunki
    Free Member

I think it was meant as a light-hearted Alan Partridge quote.

ahhh… that would make a lot more sense

MoreCashThanDash

I think disrespectful is the right term for this. Ignorant and selfish also spring to mind. Is it OK to start pulling a shipwreck apart if it appears at low tide?

globalti
    Free Member

The same happens at Haweswater every summer; at weekends the road is choked with cars of people who’ve gone up to see the village.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Is it OK to start pulling a shipwreck apart if it appears at low tide?

Why not? It’s just more man made pollution.

In fact it’s now a legal obligation in most countries.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Perhaps because it doesn’t quite fit in with your blinkered view of the world?

Not sure which blinkers I’ve got on today can you check?

In the hierarchy of sub human scum, who’d worse, someone (probably kids) writing their names on a bit of rock on the bottom of a reservoir. Or grown men digging trails on a hillside that doesn’t belong to them? Because…………

And bear in mind the hillside overlooking it is full of cheeky mountainbike trails……..

It’s not so much that I agree with a bit of graffiti, just that I can’t particularly see the harm in this particular graffiti.

Depends, are you the receiver of the wreck?

gobuchul
    Free Member

In the hierarchy of sub human scum, who’d worse, someone (probably kids) writing their names on a bit of rock on th bottom of a reservoir. Or grown men digging trails on a hillside that doesn’t belong to them? Because…………

Sorry, that was just a noise.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s not a monument or the scene of some tragic accident. It was destroyed and flooded by the state. I’m sorry but i can’t see anything disrespectful at all.

Flaperon

Scum. Sub-human scum.

To be honest unless someone’s carving a swastika into the stone I really don’t care.  It’s not as if you can drown a village in a reservoir and then get all high and mighty about someone chipping a stone out of it several decades later.

I think it’s quite interesting that it’s being graffitied. The next time it’s exposed it tells us something else about the village.

Romanus etus domen.

crazy-legs

Romanus etus domen

Are you quoting Monty Python? Cos the phrase there was ROMANES EUNT DOMUS.

Which the Centurion then amusingly corrects to Romani ite domum.

I mean, if you’re going to go and graffiti it, at least get it right…

gobuchul
    Free Member

Depends, are you the receiver of the wreck?

Anyone can recover wreck material, they just have to report to the Receiver of Wreck when they do.

stcolin
    Free Member

Was there yesterday. Rammed with people walking on it. Seen people taking photos, trowing balls for their dogs etc etc. Not bothered about a bit of graffiti, it’s the tubes that get stuck in the mud! In a few months it’ll all be forgotten.

I did a skid when I was down there, sorry.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I did a skid when I was down there, sorry.

This Country.

BadlyWiredDog

Crazy, folk can get upset about something which has been flooded deliberately – it’s not bloody Atlantis!

It sets a precedent though. Tells the kids that if and when – and I think it’s likely at some point – we find Atlantis, that it’s okay to vandalise it. I blame Lara Croft.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

New Lara Croft is a bike messenger. I wouldn’t mess with her.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ladybower Reservoir’ is closed to new replies.