Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lad and dad want to shoot stuff – Lakes or North Yorks
  • martinhutch

I have the opportunity to spend some ‘quality time’ with my lad, who is 16. And no, he doesn’t like bikes, which is probably my fault. 🙂

Is there anywhere which would do us a couple of hours of clay pigeon tuition at short notice in the South/East Lakes so we can blast stuff out of the skies* before we go and get a burger?

Cheers in advance!

*mostly miss stuff

somouk
    Free Member

Have a look here:

https://www.thelakedistrict.org/things-to-do/outdoor-activities/shooting/

Clay is a great fun activity, just make sure you get a nice day or it can be grim if there is no shelter near the stand.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s quite a few clay pigeon shoots around the local area Martin but whether they are purely private clubs or they have “open” days I’ve no idea. One’s up by The Herders above Laneshaw Bridge; another is on the tops above Carleton and there’s one above Earby.

martinhutch

Cheers Bob, I think we fancied a day out in the Lakes with an ‘activity’ tagged on. Was hoping there was a shooting ground which might offer it at short notice. No idea what the etiquette is, or how these things are organised, I’ve never fired anything more powerful than an airgun in my life 🙂

PS: Have you seen what’s been done to the nice little singletrack section on Barden Moor? 🙁

Cheers Somouk – might give the Kendal-based one a buzz.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Most of the larger clay grounds are open 9-5 seven days a week and have resident instructors which you can usually book at very short notice. If you have your own gun they work on a pay and play system with card operated traps.

I’ve never shot around that area but If you were in Derbyshire I could advise you!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

PS: Have you seen what’s been done to the nice little singletrack section on Barden Moor? 🙁

This bit?

whitestone
    Free Member

Re. the BW on Barden Moor: No. I’ll ask. Hopefully just sorting out the one now rather deep beck crossing but the bit just before the railway sleepers can get boggy in winter as well.

@dangourbrain. Yep, that bit. Mostly it’s OK, just the bits mentioned above.

martinhutch

Yep that bit dangeourbrain. Looks like they’re turning the whole thing into doubletrack. All the singletrack is gone between the junction and well past the beck crossing. Can’t see the logic of going that far unless they plan to continue to the gate and probably all the way down the Rylstone descent…

Sidetracking my own thread here!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That’s a real shame, was a lovely bit of track, though I’ve not been up there for a few years. The descent I seem to remember though was mostly farm track bar a few yards at the top.

Daft idea, how about laser clays if you can find one? They’re very much pay to play

Cougar

my lad, who is 16. And no, he doesn’t like bikes

It’s probably not too late to consider adoption.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Think there’s a clay shooting thing at coniston cold?

cinnamon_girl

And no, he doesn’t like bikes, which is probably my fault. 🙂

Give him a few years, he may change. Mine did.

martinhutch

It’s probably not too late to consider adoption.

It’s been considered. But apparently a child is for life, not just Christmas.

I think we’re sorted for shooting stuff now – some clay tuition followed by a pub lunch.

The descent I seem to remember though was mostly farm track bar a few yards at the top.

I normally climb it TBH. Clearing the little rock steps at the top is my benchmark of feeling good or not, so I hope they don’t get buried in road scrapings like the rest of the track. I know it’s no Rushup Edge, but…

whitestone
    Free Member

On the climb up from Rylstone it’s the little rocky bit about 100m past the middle gate that until recently has been my downfall. The rock steps higher up have never been a problem but there’s a flat bit before them so I can recover on that.

It’s an interesting descent when there’s ice about – very random in where the patches are!

martinhutch

On the climb up from Rylstone it’s the little rocky bit about 100m past the middle gate that until recently has been my downfall.

That’s the bit I mean. Easy after a rest, not so easy after grinding up the first three quarters of the climb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lad and dad want to shoot stuff – Lakes or North Yorks’ is closed to new replies.